Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2004 GLX with OnStar. Recently, I've been noticing that the OnStar light (which is usually green to indicate "all systems go") is red intermittently. When you get in the car and turn it on, the light is supposed to be green. Occassionally, I get in and turn on the car and the light is red (indicating a problem). OnStar has run vehicle diagnostics on my car and has found "something wrong with the GPS". But, if I turn the vehicle off, and then back on, the light is green again. Its a strange problem. Has anyone else had this problem? :suspicio: I'm taking it to the dealer on Wednesday. But, I'm afraid that since its intermittent, they may not find anything wrong.

Thanks,
Chris.

·
Registered
168 Posts
hehe i got the 2003 glx v6 30v tip and i love it.
same color as u

great car for the price. just take care of it and ull love it more when u break it in after the 5k oil change ur going to notice a nice difference on performance :)

good luck
ganx14

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can smell the new car smell all the way up here...........nice looking...............does the wood trim just circle the radio and climatronic? I thought the trim went all the way over to passenger door.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a 04 GLX, and the Onstar is always green. I have never seen it change to red. I agree with the other response, make sure!!! the dealer gets it right. Make sure you tell them about the Onstar diagnostics and raise hell about a new GPS. A lot of $$$, not to have something work right.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VW2003 said:
I can smell the new car smell all the way up here...........nice looking...............does the wood trim just circle the radio and climatronic? I thought the trim went all the way over to passenger door.
The wood surrounds the center console and is also on all four doors as well as the shifter. Plus, its REAL walnut. Not that fake wood crap. This is such a well-built, nice car. I love it!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Barnacle-Billy said:
I have a 04 GLX, and the Onstar is always green. I have never seen it change to red. I agree with the other response, make sure!!! the dealer gets it right. Make sure you tell them about the Onstar diagnostics and raise hell about a new GPS. A lot of $$$, not to have something work right.
I went down there (the dealership) and told them about the error code (U1000). They said they didn't find anything wrong with the car and that there were no error codes stored in the OnStar system. The light will be red on the OnStar system and then if I turn the car off, the light will be green. So, they told me that if it turns red again, to drive to the dealership (20 minute drive) and not to turn the car off until they look at it. What a PITA!

Chris.

·
Registered
191 Posts
passatdream said:
Barnacle-Billy said:
I went down there (the dealership) and told them about the error code (U1000). They said they didn't find anything wrong with the car and that there were no error codes stored in the OnStar system. The light will be red on the OnStar system and then if I turn the car off, the light will be green. So, they told me that if it turns red again, to drive to the dealership (20 minute drive) and not to turn the car off until they look at it. What a PITA!

Chris.
How has it been working since? Ever since your post, I have kept an eye on mine and I have never seen the red. Sounds like BS to me. Next they will be telling you that its all in head....what if you had a real emergency and actually had to use the thing?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the exact same problem. When I called OnStar, they said it was working fine (meaning it was reporting my GPS position correctly) even though the light was red. Although they said that the red light indicated a problem and I should ask the dealer to check it out. I have a scheduled maintenance comming up and I will ask them to do just that but I suspsect that they will give the the same advice as they gave you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same problem on my new W8. I had OnStar run diagnostics when the light was green and all was ok. I am waiting until it's red again, and I have the time, to call them again to see if there is a problem. Let me know what happens with yours.

Rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zeitgeist said:
I have the exact same problem. When I called OnStar, they said it was working fine (meaning it was reporting my GPS position correctly) even though the light was red. Although they said that the red light indicated a problem and I should ask the dealer to check it out. I have a scheduled maintenance comming up and I will ask them to do just that but I suspsect that they will give the the same advice as they gave you.
I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE HAVING PROBLEMS!!!!! You have all eased my concern a little. When my light turned red, I had OnStar run diagnostics on the vehicle. They said the GPS was giving an excellent signal, but there was something wrong with the internal communications of the system. I got a U1000 error. This is a "Class 2 Communication Malfunction". Whatever that means. If any of you finally have the dealer look at it and fix it, let me know what they do. I'm going to the dealer on Monday morning. Hopefully, it'll come on then. (Fingers crossed.)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have had the same problem too, passatdream. I haven't really cared to look into it though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just upgraded from a 2002 GLX 5-spd. to a 2004.5 GLS TIPTRONIC. OnStar and the side mirror blinkers are really the only changes I notice, other than the transmission and new car smell :)

At any rate, my beef with OnStar is that the Green light is right by the rear view mirror and is obnoxiously bright at night. With all the buzz about the VW blue dash lights being easier on the eyes you would think they would have put some thought into this. I wonder if I can remove the light/bulb altogether.

I don't plan on keeping the onstar past the 1 year.

Other than that, still LOVE the Passat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're not alone with the OnStar problems, that's for sure. To me the OnStar is a complete waste. I'd rather not have it at all. The green status light is very anoying at night.

Fortunately, I have trouble with the status light showing red frequently (though OnStar claims it works just fine.) When the light is red, it's not as blinding!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Onstar is a piece of crap. We have it on our Saab. I got disconnected twice just setting up our free 1 year service after sitting on hold for many minutes in a hot car. Needless to say I never renewed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is the OnStar mic in the vented area next to the passenger side light in the moonroof control console? I am trying to see if I can't fit my car with a bluetooth handsfree kit and use the audio mute and stereo speakers like the OnStar system.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Voice Dialing through the OnStar system is awful! I don't think I'll have the patience to use the free 30 minutes of personal calling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject:
Is the OnStar mic in the vented area next to the passenger side light in the moonroof control console? I am trying to see if I can't fit my car with a bluetooth handsfree kit and use the audio mute and stereo speakers like the OnStar system.

Anyone have any experience with this?
The OnStar mic is located exactly where you described. I have been looking for methods to use a bluetooth kit with the components that OnStar has in place, but haven't yet found anything worthwhile. I'm still looking though!

Voice Dialing through the OnStar system is awful! I don't think I'll have the patience to use the free 30 minutes of personal calling.
My free 30 minutes just expired. I think I used all of 3 of them. I found the system to be too cumbersome and irritating to use. The worst came when my minutes expired and I kept getting annoying phone calls from OnStar at work trying to sell me more minutes. They just wouldn't give up. :mad:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
15 Participants
passatdream
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing