Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a Passat guy, I've always thought it would be really cool to have an old model such as a Dasher, Quantum, or even B3 or B4 to put in VW shows. Once in a while, I'll find some of the above on either The Samba, Craigslist, or even sites like Autotrader.com. However, there are two big issues that concern me and make me apprehensive to buy one: A) There are very few of these cars around, and most are hundreds of miles away. It would really suck to buy a one-way airline ticket only to find the potential purchase is a piece of junk, and B) far more bothersome to me, while you can get just about any needed parts you desire for an old air-cooled Bug, Bus, Ghia, etc, I question whether parts for Passats anywhere from 25-40 years old would even be available. As an example, I recently learned you can no longer get an instrument cluster for a much younger 2000 New Beetle! B5s, B6's, and B7s are obviously plentiful, but sadly not old enough for most to care about in a VW show, so does anyone know how easy (or hard) it would be to find parts for the earlier models? I want to be different, you know? Imagine seeing a mint 1977 Dasher or 1982 Quantum or 1991 Passat as opposed to your usual sea of air-cooleds or modified GTIs/Golf Rs, etc..... but would it be too hard?

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
... B) far more bothersome to me, while you can get just about any needed parts you desire for an old air-cooled Bug, Bus, Ghia, etc, I question whether parts for Passats anywhere from 25-40 years old would even be available.
You're quite correct with the assertion about new parts availability from a dealership (fuhgettaboutit on any VW after it's ~20 yrs old), and the condition of used parts if/when you can find them.

In 1995 bought a "creampuff", factory original (no mods whatsoever) 1980 Scirocco with 32,000 miles and owned it over the next seven years before someone ran a stop sign and totaled it. That's the last "old" VW I'll own as no water cooled VWs ever had the production numbers that Ford Model T, or GM/Ford/Dodge Muscle Car, or air-cooled VW Beetle had, thus scant aftermarket parts availability.

You'd need to live in an area with high population density (Northeast, West Coast, etc.) to be even moderately successful at sourcing used parts that you can lay eyes on (in person, not some cel phone shot) prior to parting with your $$$.

Pick your favorite Muscle Car that you can source parts for and chalk up the fuel cost from driving a ~12mpg V8 to "hobby expense". I always got more enjoyment at car shows by seeing everything unique...not necessarily participating (but that's individual choice I realize).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not into American muscle cars at all, and the problem I have with plentiful air-cooled VWs is that they break down too often and I hold the mechanical aptitude of a gerbil. I tried that with a 1969 Beetle for a few years. Plan B, maybe in a couple of years, would be to find a cheap B5 Passat. Even though the early ones are now older than the New Beetle I mentioned above, you can still get parts for them. I suppose that's because more B5s were sold than New Beetles. I also notice that old Rabbits have quite an aftermarket support, but the problem there is that nice ones are getting expensive ($7-10K) while a decent B5 can be had for less than half that amount. Maybe they'll get their turn at VW shows, but time will tell. In the meantime my 2014 B7 will have to serve as my Daily AND show car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts