Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

One Pic, One word: Matte-Black CGT

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  sjberg40 
#1 ·
#9 ·
Hey, I beat him to it's only because I hang at the Luxury4Play.com site a lot these days. I've actually met the owner on a few occasions. He races Porsche's; he "had" a GT2 he affectionatelly called "PETFROG" because it was the Porsche Green with a tire-tread stripe down the middle.

The CGT is called... PETSHRK. It originally was silver. The sound of the CGT 10 gives me a woodie; I'll go deaf before I stop hearing this engine.

Fred just picked up a Cayman that he's going to track since he got rid of the GT2 (he sold it to get the CGT).

There's a few video's of his car in the Gumball 3000 if you search on YouTube. Hoping he shows his face at Santana Row but it's going to rain this Saturday so probably be awhile.

More pictures here:
http://www.luxury4play.com/german-auto/10317-petshrk-transformation-skinzwraps.html

#13 ·
I disagree on that one. It doesn't work on this car. There's not enough complex curves and too many large, flat panels that the flat black makes it look very bland.

#14 ·
How about this shot:

I find it pretty hard to imagine how this is done in the seams like the rear grill areas. I know it's all shrink wrap so there must be some technique used to esnure it doesn't go un-done past the "visible" edge.

Oh, the rear-view mirrors were also wrapped.

#15 ·
The CGT is too convex and simple for it to work visually in my opinion. Your eyes naturally get drawn to big open spaces, and when you paint something satin, it exacerbates that effect. Most notably the door panels, the rear quarters/rockers, etc.

#19 ·
There's still a question in my mind about a few scenario's:

1) Heat - talking about over 110 deg. heat off the asphalt or in a dessert area. I know a torch was used so perhaps 110 deg. heat isn't a factor (they do work out of Texas where that temperature is more common.)

2) The original paint and clearcoat. Just worried that if he decides to remove it, how much coating will come off of it; since I don't know the product, I don't know if perhaps it's teflon coated on the other side or what.

Flat Black/matte-black is a craze. It works for some cars, maybe not all. I like the CGT even if it were "shit brown" (someone said that about my Cobra!) Obviously from the responses, it's not for everyone. :D

Personally, I would not do it to my cars. It reminds me of the days of my primer Mustang; had I known it would be all the rage I would have done the whole car instead of just a door and the hood! :D For the CGT, I simply love the car period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.