1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And in this week's strange news...

Young man marries own grandmother
3/19/2004

PANCHPARA, India (Reuters) - A 25-year-old Indian man has married his 80-year-old grandmother because he wanted to take care of her.

"I felt she needed extra care as she is old. I can look after her better as a husband than as a grandson," Narayan Biswas told Reuters.

"As a husband, I am with her all the time, to care for her," said the high school graduate, who farms rice fields and also works as a tutor.

The grandmother, her back bent with age, says she is "happy" with her young husband whom she married in a traditional Hindu ceremony near Panchpara, a village 100 miles west of Calcutta. Her first husband died more than 30 years ago.

"I helped bring him up with my own hands and now he looks after me. He is a good husband and ensures I get my meals on time," said Premodas Biswas, a red vermilion streak on her forehead, the mark of a married Hindu woman.
Link to story

:suspicio:

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
And why not, they deserve the same rights. They are people too. Why do we discriminate. They love each other, He wants to take care of her. With being married, he can now include the grandma with his health benefits. There are no laws against this.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
To each his own.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
So lets say they had a son. The baby would be his father's uncle and the great grandson to his mother but still be his father's son and... and... arrrgh... never mind - it's too confusing for a Friday afternoon.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
veedubyo said:
And why not, they deserve the same rights. They are people too. Why do we discriminate. They love each other, He wants to take care of her. With being married, he can now include the grandma with his health benefits. There are no laws against this.
Im with you.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I just wanted to clarify, I was being completely sarcastic.

:crazy:

Whats next? Are we going to let people marry animals, as long as their truley in love?

Explain to me, why this guy marrying his Grandmother, will allow him to take care of her better?

He is already family, so whats the point?

-Nick

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
veedubyo said:
apparently, there are laws against it:

Local officials say marrying a blood relation is illegal under the Hindu Marriage Act, but they have no plans to take action against the couple.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:
Did you know that Panchpara, India is the sister city to Little Rock, Arkansas? :lol:

cletus isn't very happy about what you just said..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
IDriveB5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing