Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea, so i think its about time to announce that im switching turbos, and what a bitch its becoming. so heres what im doing:

-garret gt28rs "disco potato"
-apexi avcr ebc
-atp manifold
-dioded map sensor
-no maf for the time being... we'll see how that works (vr6 maf is in the mail, along with cartech fmu)
-3" custom downpipe (no cat) mated to a 3" custom exhaust with flowmaster 50 series (yay for welding skills)
-sds mixture meter

we'll see how everything turns out, I'll keep things updated if nebody's interested. heres some pics of current progress:

heres the spud all bolted up in its home... and may i note, those six top bolts on the ATP manifold were hell to put in. it is my personal theory that atp sucks:

looking down the tacked downpipe so far:

dp from the bottom... you can almost see the homebrew wastegate bracket i had to make:

Avcr in the coin tray... no more putting my cell there :(

and thats all for tonight. at this point i have to say that it is not the most fun making your own turbo kit. the geometry of the gt28rs combined with atp's manifold just does not work well with the way our engines are set up (thats why the compressor outlet is pointing to the sky). plus, everything atp says fits transverse engines, does not fit longitudinal (all the oil lines and such), im kinda peeved at atp, but most of this isnt their fault. my bud and i should be going farther with the exhaust and making the oil return line fit tomorrow night, so i'll post up with pics of that. later y'all.

-drew

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Wow man i just realized that you were spot weilding all down that downpipe in different sections wow. Your awsome. THats gotta be soo cool though. It really is so close to your ashtrey. Like if you liike at the edge of you mat its right at level with with down pipe.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya, i dont have access to a mandrel bender, so i figured id just buy it in sections and weld the bends it. its really not that difficult if you've got 2 people there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.