Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Honda Valkyrie Rune:

Looks a bit like a streamliner locomotive from the '40's

·
Registered
827 Posts
Man, that is big!! Right now i think my Harley Sportster 883C is hard to move when she is off, god knows how this big SOB is going to move..

I bet at low speeds she is one hell of a bitch to run, but get her in a straight line and she would tear up the road... but then again in that price rang i would take a V-Rod with the full SE upgrades.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The Rune has been out for awhile, and it is one hulking bike. I've had lots of seat time on a 2001 Goldwing GL1800 (Same engine as the Rune), and when I sat on the Rune (sorry, they don't let you test-ride a $25k bike:wink:), it didn't feel much different weight and balance wise. However the seating position is a little stretched., as noted by somebody. The bike should be pretty easy to launch, the flat-six 1800 cc engine produces ungodly amounts of low end torque compared to my V-Twin Shadow 1100. However, the biggest problem will be turning the thing tightly :nervous:.

A better option in my opinion, for much less money is the VTX 1800N (notice the "N" designation). It's a VTX fitted with the Rune's fenders, so you get that retro-modern look in a more manageable size bike. The VTX also has all the power you'll ever need.... :wink:

Or, you could take a look at the classicly styled Kawasaki 2000! Holy KAW! :lol: 2000 cc's and it doesn't even look it until you see it in person...

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Zuhaib said:
Man, that is big!! Right now i think my Harley Sportster 883C is hard to move when she is off, god knows how this big SOB is going to move..
Hey, how do you like that bike anyway? I have thought about having that or a 1200 several times now....

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Damn, that thing is Hard. And I don't usually gawk over cruisers. I remember several years ago when I got my first YZF, the dealership had one of the original Valkyries and I sat one that thing while mine was getting cleaned-up; I was like, " :shock: Holy Engine, Batman!"
You look down in between you and it's all motor! :lol:

...I'll stick with the sportbikes though, even though crusiers are beautiful. But that new one above is really nice. :thumbup:

-Harry

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sharky - Are you stuck on getting a Harley? If not, I suggest researching some of the Asian makes. You definitely get more bike for your money. Plus, if you're a big guy, you'll probably not keep the sportster long, it's a pretty small bike.

·
Registered
827 Posts
sentraSR20 said:
Sharky - Are you stuck on getting a Harley? If not, I suggest researching some of the Asian makes. You definitely get more bike for your money. Plus, if you're a big guy, you'll probably not keep the sportster long, it's a pretty small bike.
Hey, i should take offenice to that comment =P

Well about the sportster, she is a "small" bike when compared to the other Harleys but once you get on it and see yourself (have someone take a picture for you) its not all that small. I think for me right now its in line with the "just right" (and i am about 5 11 at 250lb) Yeah something bigger would be nice, i looked at the Japs bike but the Harley is not all that small, especial when you get the Custom Model line, which are the 1200C and the 883C, as they have forward foot control so yours legs are out in front of you. I think the size of the bikes makes it also easy for me to manage in the city when i do take her downtown. Just today i did a ride from home to work and back, and on the way there on the highway she did great (still in break-in so i was just under 55mph in the right.. Till the 50Miles) and on the way back i was stuck in killer traffic. And moving her in and out of Traffic was no problem, even with the 480lb weight.

And since this is my first bike, even in the Jap market i found myself liking the smaller bikes but finding them very much lacking when compare to the Sportster in many areas. Maybe after College i might want to add another bike to the family, but right now the Sportster is great. Also with a killer Aftermarket world of custom guys and even with Harleys own SE Pro stuff, the sky is the limit with the sportster (Well the 1200C is tunable but you wont see some killer HP gains.. its the 883 that get the big jump when upgraded). Already i hear of some guys at California Choppers here have a Wider Rear end kit for the Sportster which might be kick ass in the next 2 years for me.

As for the "more bang for buck" that is something that will always be true, but hey that can be said for a Jap car also compare to our VW Passats. But there is something about owning a VW, and so is there something about owning a Harley. Yeah she is the smallest of the line, and people will rub you a little but the guys are more then willing to help. The Dealer and H.O.G has been more then helpful to me in getting this bike and just meeting local Harley guys and talking to them online is great, it really reminds me of the guys i have meet on ClubB5. BTW, check out http://www.v-twinforum.com , they are some get guys there.
If there was a jap cruiser i liked it would be the bikes from the Yamaha line, something about the Honda bikes where, just as the dealer himself said, they had no soul.

BTW, i own a 2003 Sportster 883C, the new 04's have a new frame and are rubber mount and some say are a lot more "comfortable" to ride, which is nice as it does not kill my butt. But for me the 03 had a great deal, look nice as its the gun metal 100th Anniversary ed. (PIC: http://zsystem.dyndns.org/sportster2.jpg) , and since its not rubber mount, it does make your teeth grind which to me is something i want.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
During the summer one of the guys at the place I interned at, had a NICE blue and white Indian. It was so awesome and I got to go for a ride on it. so much fun! too bad they're too big for me :p and we went to the arlen ness museum, he has some awesome bikes there.... if you haven't gone to his website go check it out... www.arlenness.com :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Zuhaib - Wasn't intended to offend! :) I just want a fellow rider to research all his options before purchasing, just like I'd recommend a fellow VeeDubber to check out the competition as well :wink:. I actually like a lot of the bigger Harley's (Especially the V-Rod), but they're just a little too expensive and most are air cooled (except, again, for the V-Rod). Obviously, it's a matter of preference of which bike you choose, because ultimately you are the one that has to be happy with it! :wink:

As for the Sportser, those were just my observations when I rode one at Americade. I'm actually smaller than you (5'11" 190 Lbs), and I just felt a little cramped. However, if I had some forward controls or even freeway bars up front, I'm sure it'd be MUCH more comfortable. That along with a wider seat for my big butt :wink:.

Baisee - I love the styling of Indian, unfortunately, the company went out of business again.....:weirdo:

Whatever you ride, ride safe, and ride often! :) Spring's comin' real fast! :wink:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
I dunno what I want. I'd like something that is suitable for 75 mph highway travel at a couple hours at a time, but isn't so big and heavy that it is a total pig around town.

One of those Kawasaki ZRX 1200 bikes would be cool, too. But I like the little Harleys.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Sharky said:
I dunno what I want. I'd like something that is suitable for 75 mph highway travel at a couple hours at a time, but isn't so big and heavy that it is a total pig around town.

One of those Kawasaki ZRX 1200 bikes would be cool, too. But I like the little Harleys.
If you're looking to spend the kind of money H-D is asking and want a sport-tourer (or pure tourer), why not check out BMW?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Macabre said:
Sharky said:

If you're looking to spend the kind of money H-D is asking and want a sport-tourer (or pure tourer), why not check out BMW?
That's just it-I'm NOT looking to spend that kind of money. Sportsters aren't in the same price ballpark (even when loaded up with stuff) as the Dynas and softtails and whatnot.

Eight grand, tops. So, I could get a big Japanese standard and add some hard bags, a 1200 Sportster and some soft bags, or maybe a Farley (fake Harley). Kawasaki Concours, Honda ST1100, Valkyrie Tourer, I dunno, I'm easy.

Used or even WAY used is fine with me, assuming the price is very right-if it breaks I can fix it. Buy a $2000 1400 Intruder, have it done up the way I want, and go ride that around. That could work.

I just wondered how the guy liked his 883 is all-I've never talked to anyone who's actually owned one. I like them because they are compact and might be fun to ride....umm...sportily, as the name implies. I'm no Evel Knievel, though-I don't need the 150 horse crotch rocket wheelstanding monster bike of the moment.

And I already waste hours and hours repairing German machinery.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
As for used bikes, I've had good luck with the following websites:

www.cycletrader.com (obviously)

and

www.bikerbuys.com

You should be able to snatch up a used late model ST1100 for $8,000 easy. It's a beautiful sport-tourer, IMO.

Mac also had a good suggestion, BMW bikes are pretty nice machines, both dynamically and style-wise. :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
sentraSR20
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing