Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got all new control arms, tie rods, axles, and have weitec coils. Put on a new set of wheels. Decided to lower my 03 wagon than it has been since I have owned it (3 years). Immediately driving it out of the driveway I had a really bad vibration. It got less when I raised it up maybe a half an inch. Dealt with the vibration for a bit for "the look" on the way to a show. Started hearing a huge thump noise when I was at the show, immediately pulled over and raised the car almost to the top of the coilover. Vibration almost non existent thump goes away. I tore a tie rod after 1k mile trip.

My question is how do all you guys drive your passat low on a daily basis?

Why is it that I can't?

pic of how low the car is...

· Registered
594 Posts
What size tire are you running and do you have hubrings on those wheels? Are they balanced? Hubrings are crucial.

What kind of axles did you use? I had similar problems using cheap axles where the lower I went the crappier they rode. I'm talking horrible vibration and my steering wheel would vibrate like crazy. Went with Raxles and never had the same issue. If you used empi or something of the sort, I'd bet that's your issue.

As for as tearing a tie rod, you mean the outer tie rod boot? If the boot is torn, the tie rod should be replaced, but I can't imagine a torn boot would cause vibration after 1k miles.

· Registered
895 Posts
Let me chime in with my personal experience.

Same symptom, drop the car for summer and noticed vibration when accerlatring, mostly present in 2nd gear. Got progressivly worse and was noticiable in almost all gears except 1st. Axles had been changed with quality rebuilds, had them checked they were perfect. Motor mounts were shot, Snub mount was shot and tranny mounts were shot.

Changed them all for 034 and voila, vibration gone. Of course I have to deal with a whole new kind of vibration from the stiffer mounts but that's a whole different story, shifts are tight and throtle response is tight . I can also report that the stiffer mounts translate a much more audible engine sound into the cabin.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No install error. Had a shop do it, they have been doing VW's for years.

215/40/18 Hubcentric rings are on the wheels. They are balanced. Had them on the car for a couple days before drop and rode fine.

Did use $100 axles. Did tear outside tie rod boot.

Will check motor and snub mounts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.