Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been kicked around a few times but I'm looking for some definitive answers this time.

We all know how much the lame lock-up/alarm horn sucks, but what have you done to replace it with something better? Disabling it isn't an option as I like the audible notification as I'm walking away. And moving it outside the car to make it louder isn't really improving the sound, just making it more noticable.

What would be really awesome is to get a chirp sound like aftermarket alarm systems have w/o installing the whole aftermarket system.

Ideas?

Thanks,
-Chris

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Chris,

You can easily buy a siren from like DEI (Viper / Python) and install. The problem is that - in order to get a chirp. You must wire the siren directly to the Alarm. Not through a relay. In the past. I have done with a rely and the time it takes to open and close the rely and the pulse that ends up going to the aftermaket siren is "too quick" to make it chirp.

However, if you go ahead and run it direclty off of the factory alarm you may draw too much current from that circuit and burn the alarm brain. Not sure how you can proceed. Let me think about it and Ill make another post. There has to be a way.

Stephen - I was in the 12V business for years. Ill help where I can with Alarm, Remote start, convenience system questions, Audio - You name it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if other manufacturers (Acura/BMW/Audi/MB, etc, etc) have lock-up horns that sound better that would work. As far as frying the stock alarm, gosh you would think an aftermarket horn couldn't possibly draw that kind of current to do that, but who knows...

Thanks,
-Chris

·
Registered
35 Posts
Touareg, and probably Phaeton

What about checking out the other VW models? My girlfriend got herself a V8 TOUAREG just about the same time I got the B5.5, and the only thing I really like about her ride is the chirp when the alarm arms, and also the keyless system- all she needs to do is touch the handle and the door automatically unlocks.

Hope this gives you an idea. Let me know if it works!

Vicariously,
BoyLaMancha

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't mind me, just can't in good conscience drive a car that does like 14 to a gallon. But indeed, the height adjustment is cool, and the auto-disarm is also neat. The membrane switches are impressive, too. The only thing missing from her set-up was the 4-zone climatronic. You thinnk you can research upgrading :b5:s with all those? We actually have one of those memebrane switches on the trunk handle, check it next time you open yours!

BLM

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
NH VW Junky said:
Chris,

You can easily buy a siren from like DEI (Viper / Python) and install. The problem is that - in order to get a chirp. You must wire the siren directly to the Alarm. Not through a relay. In the past. I have done with a rely and the time it takes to open and close the rely and the pulse that ends up going to the aftermaket siren is "too quick" to make it chirp.

However, if you go ahead and run it direclty off of the factory alarm you may draw too much current from that circuit and burn the alarm brain. Not sure how you can proceed. Let me think about it and Ill make another post. There has to be a way.

Stephen - I was in the 12V business for years. Ill help where I can with Alarm, Remote start, convenience system questions, Audio - You name it.
you can probably use the signal to trigger and SCR .

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
What about leave the OEM alarm horn and just piggyback the regular horn to the alarm?

The OEM alarm horn is not actually lame. The sound is muffled because it is hidden behind the rear seats so the thiefs can't get to it and cut the leads. So by piggybacking the regular horn to the alarm you would get the desired louder sound and still keep the safeguard.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Go to Ebay and get the Compustar System... My friend's 20th anni GTI has it and it is insane. Loud ass alarm. sensitivity settings, Remote pager, Remote start, bla bla bla, tons of features. U can get the top alarm from ebay for about 259 i believe. Go to their web page to research it if you like: http://www.compustar.org/intro.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Alarum

As much as possible, I would like to keep the car stock. With that in mind, if I were to alter anything, I would probably consider upgrades from other VW lines, and that is why I would consider looking over the systems on the Phaeton or Touareg. I have to admit, though, that I am seeing major system differences between the B5 and the Touareg, and I don't know if they might be cross-compatible. Maybe the next Passats, but not the B5s.

On the other hand, have you ever triggered the alarm while inside the car? I thought that the other reason the set-up was such was to deter and annoy thieves when they got IN the car! I had to learn sign for a while...

Jack/BLM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.