Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some fun over the weekend with this mod. Using mech. boost and elect. oil pressure set-up. I'm seeing about 70 psi cold and around 25 at idle when things warm up.
Install is pretty straightfoward. The one tool that saved the day was a 3/8 universal and 5mm hex with extension to access the pick-up point at the filter housing.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Wow, that setup looks perfect! Where did you get your gauges? Is that the new AutoMeter Dual pod steering column mount? The lights & everything matches up perfectly. I want I want! Details please!

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
nice, i would like some info on this set up if you have a chance, PM me..............it looks sweet..................Rah.............. :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh my god...this is what I was dreaming for...
Please send me a PM and tell me which gauge pod you use.
Thank you
:bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay guys, I have to admit that I'm not using any custom pod. My goal was to keep the gauges in plain site without blocking the dash dispay. Since the Omori gauges are black they blend in with the rest of the column area perfect. All I did was turn the included U shape bracket to hold the gauge from beneath. A little rubber sticky tape on inside so it won't slide around and a little dab of black silicone to hold it to the column.
I know a dual pod is on the way from someone but I really didn't see a need for me. Oh, the gauges came from J-spectuning.com in Cali. You'll just need the basic tools for install like a test light, wire crimpers, etc.
I'm off to work now so I'll get back to any more ? and PM's later this afternoon. Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll work on getting a few more shots posted. I'm 6' 2" and everything is in view for me. There's a lot of wiring for the oil gauge but most of it is simply plugging one connector to the other. The only splicing required is 4 wires- 2ground,12V switched power, and dash lights. Most of these can be accessed from the headlight switch wiring.
One note. If I get into boost shortly after startup the oil pressure will breifly spike to over 100psi before the relief valve kicks in. Stay posted.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
WOW those are expensive. $145-$175 per gauge? I thought gauges were like $50. Is it because they match the VW interior? Do any other brands match the VW interior?

Also, what is the difference between the mechanical turbo meter and electrical, besides the obvious. Is one much more precise than the other? Is one easier to install than the other?

Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are they expensive? I suppose compared to VDO but try pricing some Greddy or Apex-i gauges, $200 and up. With Omori you get what you pay for. You're paying for the look as well as the quality.
The mechanical boost means you're running a vacum line from the engine directly to the gauge. Simple and effective plus there's no buzzing with Omori's gauge. The electrical will use a sender at the engine to send the signal to the boost gauge. More wiring that I didn't want to deal with.
So here are some behind the wheel shots.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Very nice indeed. Reminds me of the "Ralley-Pac" that the first Mustangs sometimes had on their steering columns! :thumbup:
Great work on keeping that center display panel functional!

I would like to see how it looks from the side if you could post a pic.

I have the Omori mechanical boost gauge mounted in a 'column-pod' from New South Engineering (or whatever their company name is now).
I love it!

Now you just need to swap out that 4-spoke steering wheel for a 3-spoker!
(imho)

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
afterburner said:
Are they expensive? I suppose compared to VDO but try pricing some Greddy or Apex-i gauges, $200 and up. With Omori you get what you pay for. You're paying for the look as well as the quality.
The mechanical boost means you're running a vacum line from the engine directly to the gauge. Simple and effective plus there's no buzzing with Omori's gauge. The electrical will use a sender at the engine to send the signal to the boost gauge. More wiring that I didn't want to deal with.
So here are some behind the wheel shots.

WOW it looks really clean from behind the wheel .
do you have any side shots , just curious to know how you manage to hide the wires/tubing without the pod.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, I'll take some side shots after work thursday. I made some small incisions to the column surround trim to run the wires and hose through so it looks clean. The gauges back up to that trim so you have to look close to see anything. Mark.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts