Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so pissed at yet another train wreck Olympic coverage I had to write MSNBC, below is what I sent. What do you think of this Olypimc coverage and general reporting of it?

I’d like to express my sheer disgust and disappointment (yet again) of the coverage of the Olympics in Italy. What’s the deal with this network? Example...why on a Sunday afternoon am I forced to watch the “Ed Bernstien Show” of all things? And then only show Olympic coverage from 8pm to midnight with choppy “here-and-there” coverage? (with commercials lasting longer than your actual coverage!! I timed it once, 5 mins of commercials and only 3 mins of coverage before "we'll be right back after this...") And then to top it off you show the medal ceremonies at 1am! Then to make things even worse than they already are, you have the repeat coverage at 1:30am – 5am in the MORNING! Do you not realize that most people have to sleep during these times? I simply don’t understand why with America of all countries (the “super power!”) can’t even get Olympic coverage on a Sunday afternoon when the rest of the world has no problem at all. And this is and was no different to when the Olympics were in the US, the coverage still sucked!

Another very annoying thing is your commentators…I can’t stand when all they report is, “America has another disappointing day today”, or “US team settles for bronze” etc etc….The Olympics are about being part of a team that represents a country, not how many medals are won and all you seem to care about is how many Gold’s are won at that! Just be proud of the people who got there in the first place to represent the US. I’m quite sure those athletes didn’t “settle” for a silver or bronze either! Why don’t YOU go out and try what they do and see how far you get….didn’t think so. Ever stop to think for one second how much pressure the media puts on these athletes because of this? They must be terrified that if they make a mistake or loose gold by “show-boating” (US woman snowboarder) the media is going to make a frenzy out of them, and they do!. Please stop the materialistic, “no points for second place” attitude as it is so sickening it puts me off even trying to watch the Olympics in the first place when you do show it on TV. Your coverage doesn't even get an "E" for effort!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Too bad Comcast in my area is pulling Universal HD after the olympics. Bastards.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I don't think too many people are watching the Olympics in general from what I've read. And for what they paid for it, they probably have a bit to make up, which is why you're seeing a lot of ads.

I think the Winter games are tough anyway; it's not like you see Australia fighting for a medal in hockey -- what, are there only 12 teams that play?

In addition, there's plenty of other things to watch, which is probably contributing to the lackluster viewership.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I hear ya! The coverage does suck. On the other hand, I have to say I like being able to turn on a hockey game when I get up at 6 AM to get ready to go to work!

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jasonmac said:
I don't think too many people are watching the Olympics in general from what I've read.

But WHY do you think that is? becuase they never even advertised they were showing it in the first place! the coverage sucks so it turns people off, it's so hard to follow any event. :banghead: :banghead:

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
They just added Universal HD here... who owns it?

The last summer games were covered alot better. NBC actually ran separate programing (realtime 24/7) on HD... this year it was the standard broadcast.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
pass-variant said:
They just added Universal HD here... who owns it?

The last summer games were covered alot better. NBC actually ran separate programing (realtime 24/7) on HD... this year it was the standard broadcast.
Universal HD used to be Bravo HD. Mixture of NBC, USA and SciFi shows on it. I think it is a good channel. They also have US Open tennis on the channel.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
atomicalex said:
CBC here, and it rocks.

Dick Button should be shot.
I couldn't agree with you more with that comment!!! I can't stand that guy. He knows absolutley nothing about what he talks about and his "interviews" with athletes after events are enough to want to poke my eye out with a spoon!!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
634 Posts
atomicalex said:
CBC here, and it rocks.

Another CBC viewer here. They kick NBC's ass.

Has anything remotely resembling constructive criticism ever passed Dick Button's lips?

·
Registered
977 Posts
atomicalex said:
CBC here, and it rocks.

+1 That guy is cannon fodder.

I also like the Bell Beaver commercials "Come on we are beavers don't you think the tooks are a little redundant" and gordans speach to the stuffed animals :D

NBC coverage has way to many commercials. We can't even get thru 2 ski runs without a break.

·
Registered
124 Posts
is it just me or does all nbc cover is ice skating/dancing. they show that crap every night and it is painful to watch. i am a huge fan of alpine skiing, and they only showed 5 runs of first run of the mens gs, only to cut back to ice crap. does the figure skating and ice dancing seem the same to anyone else and when is it going to end?
also most of the mini documentaries end up sucking alot.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2002StickShift18T said:
is it just me or does all nbc cover is ice skating/dancing. they show that crap every night and it is painful to watch. i am a huge fan of alpine skiing, and they only showed 5 runs of first run of the mens gs, only to cut back to ice crap. does the figure skating and ice dancing seem the same to anyone else and when is it going to end?
also most of the mini documentaries end up sucking alot.
That or they DO show 2 hours of CURLING! whoever is in control of what is shown and when needs to be flipiing burgers, not getting paid what they do for this crap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts