Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just purchased my first ever VW. An 01 GLS. I have read most of the posts in the archive concerning adding a 6disk changer in the factory trunk slot. However, most of these posts refer to newer changers. Being a somewhat cheap [email protected] (hey I'm broke now that I have payments) I was hoping to use my old changer (alpine 5960).

I know that I need an adapter cable, but I do not really want to drop $80 bucks on an adapter if my changer is to old to "talk" to the HU. By the way, this is a non-monsoon system (at least I think it is).

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

If it is not compatible, I guess I will toss the Alpine HU and changer in my jeep and get a new changer. If I must go this route, what low cost changer would you recommend that works with the stock VW HU?

I might add that changing the HU is out right now as my wife likes and wants to retain the steering wheel mounted radio controls.

Thanks in advance,
G-

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The Alpine you have wil work fine. In fact, ANY of the Alpine M-bus changers will work, all the way back to the old units from the late 80s and early 90s. Get that adapter and enjoy.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts