Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled into the gas station to grab a drink and some 20-something with a new black Corvette looked my Passat over and rolled his eyes and shook his head. Made me realize that I'm 46 years old and the best I can afford is a 9-year-old car with 202,000 miles. Rust spots, trim pieces funked up, and all. Makes guy kinda stop and take stock. I came from an extremely poor family and have had to work hard to improve my life. I chose to become a teacher because of the teachers that I have encountered. After doing a little bit of everything in my life (Steel worker, slaughter house technician, insurance agent, mortgage banker, ....), I decided to spend my working time helping young people to become more than they think they can be. I can't afford a new Corvette. I'm glad that he could; good for him. Once, just once, I'd love to have a really kick-ass car. Sorry 20-something dude, my kids need new shoes.

·
Dolly Judger
380 Posts
The rolling of his eyes was not needed. Honestly he doesn't know your financial commitments and therefore should at least keep his judgments mental. Great that he can afford the corvette with money daddy got him for graduation, but it doesn't mean that you can't enjoy your own lifestyle.

Honestly, teachers are undervalued in America and it does bother me as it probably does you. Teachers are one of the main driving forces that lead kids into choosing careers and becoming successful. So no I would never look down on a teacher UNLESS the teacher is just trying to get fired because they just don't care.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I can't relate too much with your age and exact feeling, but I can say that you can turn an old car into a source of pride by proving that you can keep it alive past 200,000 miles and keeping it clean. I have a lot of friends who compliment my car because of how I take care of it. Not to mention, most people who climb behind the wheel of my 1998, 233K mile 1.8t 5 speed Passat say they really like the way it drives and appreciate how smooth it is (shifting and such.) So... driving an old Passat isn't terrible if it get's you to where you want to go comfortably.

You can live a life worth living without high end material items. Your story and motivation to do what you do sounds awesome. It's ok to feel the way you feel though, everyone goes through that feeling. Every time I see a friend or family member get something new and awesome I'm all about wishing I had something better. But at the end of the day, you have what you have and work hard to get the things that you want and need, and there's merit in that. If you want that, then make it a goal to make it happen. If there's a will, there's a way! Cliche saying, but I find it to be true.

BTW, that kid's attitude and outward judging sucks. But in a way, those kind of idiots are the people that push us (or make us feel like giving up, depends on how you look at it) to go for something better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Its easier to afford the loan and insurance when you have no outstanding bills, debt, or responsibilities other than which girl you're taking home. Don't sweat it. Every time I get ready to pull the trigger on some coilovers and wheels for my PWagon I step back and realize that money is better suited improving my house, clothes for my son, or better off in savings...and I'm a late twenty-something.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
People that let themselves be defined by their material possessions do so because they suffer from insecurity in themselves. If someone lets themself be defined by what they have rather than what they are, they will find that they are a pretty ugly individual on the inside. You may not have a brand new Corvette, but it sounds like you have a family that loves you, and at the end of the day you can walk into a dealership and buy a Corvette any time, can that guy do the same WRT loved ones? Perhaps that is why he felt the need to behave the way he did.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
keep this in mind, i know millionaires that drive 90's toyotas.
my old boss had a 4 million dollar house, yet drove a 2000 tacoma and wore thrift store clothes.

some people spend every penny they own on a car, or some jordans... but that means nothing when a family depends on you

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
Damn, 20K!

Also saw this joke on reddit that I think you may like OP

A young man goes to buy the best car on the market, a brand new Ferrari GT. It is also the most expensive car in the world, and it costs him $500,000. He takes it out for a spin and stops at a red light. An old man on a Moped, looking about 100 years old, pulls up next to him.

The old man looks over at the sleek, shiny car and asks, "What kind of car ya' got there sonny?"

The young man replies, "A Ferrari GTO. It cost half a million dollars!"

"That's a lot of money," says the old man. "Why does it cost so much?"

"Because this car can do up to 320 miles an hour!" he states proudly.

The old moped driver asks, "Mind if I take a look inside?"

"No problem," replies the owner.

So the old man pokes his head in the window and looks around. Then, sitting back on his Moped, the old man says, "That's a pretty nice car, all right... but I'll stick with my Moped!"

Just then the light changes, and the young guy decides to show the old man what his car can do. He floors it, and within 30 seconds, the speedometer reads 160 mph.

Suddenly, he notices a dot in his rear view mirror. It seems to be getting closer! He slows down to see what it could be and suddenly Whoosh! something whips by him going much faster!

"What on earth could be going faster than my Ferrari?" the young man asks himself. He floors the accelerator and takes the Ferrari up to 250 mph. Then, up ahead of him, he sees that it's the old man on the Moped!

Amazed that the Moped could pass his Ferrari, he gives it more gas and passes the moped at 275 mph. WHOOOOOOOSHHHHH! He's feeling pretty good

Until he looks in his mirror and sees the old man gaining on him AGAIN! Astounded by the speed of this old guy, he floors the gas pedal and takes the Ferrari all the way up to 320 mph. Not ten seconds later, he sees the Moped bearing down on him again! The Ferrari is flat out, and there's nothing he can do!

Suddenly, the Moped plows into the back of his Ferrari, demolishing the rear end. The young man stops and jumps out, unbelievably the old man is still alive! He runs up to the mangled old man and says, "Oh My God! Is there anything I can do for you?"

The old man whispers... "UNHOOK... MY... SUSPENDERS... FROM... YOUR... SIDE VIEW... MIRROR!"

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, guys. Going through tough times lately and the whole thing just struck me wrong. I have kids and a wife who love me, a roof over my head (which I haven't always had-tough to improve your situation when you're living in a broken-down '78 Cougar), and students who make me proud every day. Even my own daughters are getting on me to stop feeling bad. We adopted severely abused sisters 15 years ago, and they seem to have learned a little bit about what's valuable and what's not. You're all right-I wouldn't want a Corvette anyway and my rusted old Passat has been lovingly nursed along and will probably be on the road after his shiny black Vette is wrapped around a tree or repossessed.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
there's nothing to feel bad about man!
a douchebag with a plastic american car that cant handle for crap, judged you (another man) for driving a car that is not "brand new"..
thats pretty suspect. i dont judge other guys. and i dont judge people for what they drive.
and a b5 passat still looks better than 80% of the 2013 cars. i have a C5 A6, B5 Passat and a B6 A4 USP, and i still love my passat and plan on keeping it as long as possible.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Thanks, guys. Going through tough times lately and the whole thing just struck me wrong. I have kids and a wife who love me, a roof over my head (which I haven't always had-tough to improve your situation when you're living in a broken-down '78 Cougar), and students who make me proud every day. Even my own daughters are getting on me to stop feeling bad. We adopted severely abused sisters 15 years ago, and they seem to have learned a little bit about what's valuable and what's not. You're all right-I wouldn't want a Corvette anyway and my rusted old Passat has been lovingly nursed along and will probably be on the road after his shiny black Vette is wrapped around a tree or repossessed.
You forgot to add that you most likely do have a larger penis. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts