Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of 17" audi wheels last night from a guy online for a decent deal..... only problem with them is they all have a lot of curb rash. Some are worse than others.

I work in a metal fab shop and one of the guys said he'd throw some weld on them so we can sand them down smooth again. I'm going to have these powder coated when we're finished. We use a Miller 350P with spool fed aluminum wire if that makes a difference. Will this method work? Damage the wheel? I know welding wheels is common practice in aftermarket wheel repair but is it normally tig and will using a pulsing mig welder work?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding is that body filler will come off during the tire application process. I was wanting something more permanent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update.

I went ahead and had our welder take a stab at it. The results were really great for a quick job.

BEFORE:
IMG_3568.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_3562.jpg

·
Moderate Moderator
16,486 Posts
That does look good. I didn't see that the damage was at the lip like that. I thought they were only scratched up on the faces.

I have a set of 17" Audi sports like that and I think they are great looking rims. Not only do they look good, they look good on a Passat. Too often I see cars with flashy rims that don't match the lines or styling of the car they are on. Mine are painted sort of a gun metal metallic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I honestly didn't notice it either (even when I looked the wheels over before buying them). When we saw that damage though it really turned the pressure up on figuring out if we could do it. I figured I only paid $100 for all 4 so why not give it a go.

We took a grinder with a soft pad to the rest of the wheels and it cleaned up most of the surface scratches (even some of the bad curb rash). The paint is thick on these wheels so taking the paint down fixed most of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts