Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
It is shuffleboard but there is a lot more finesse. The sweeping really does effect the stone. Unlike women's softabll, there are a lot of countries playing curling so it will probably stay.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The Scots played it hundered of years ago, way before Canada. Hell, they throw telephone poles in the air to see who throws the farthest, so why not this?
Besides, its a sophisticated enough sport that you could play it and not spill any of your Blue Label.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
TDIBUGMAN said:
The Scots played it hundered of years ago, way before Canada. Hell, they throw telephone poles in the air to see who throws the farthest, so why not this?
Besides, its a sophisticated enough sport that you could play it and not spill any of your Blue Label.
I sit corrected. ;)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I like curling because it looks like something even I could do.

I would like to see bocce get into the summer olympics for the same reason.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Curling's a lot of fun to play. As kids, my mum and dad would take my brother and I curling in Perth. Lot harder than it looks and actually can be quite a good workout.

:)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I think it's pretty interesting to watch, or atleast it is while I'm at work.

this is what I've gathered:
4 people per team, slide the stone. The sweeping is supposed to remove moisture and ice to keep it going. You try to knock each other's stones out. At the end of each round, or "end", whoever has the most stones closest to the tee (the center) gets that many points (the number of stones close to the tee).

·
The "Odd" one
6,068 Posts
It would be a lot more fun if the players slide on their stomachs to try and knock other players out of the circles, instead of using those ball like things

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Ha ha, yeah. That would be fun to watch.

There are sports and there are games. Curling is a game.

And then there are the contrived things like snowboard aerial mess and ice dancing (is that still in?), etc. Anything that requires subjective judging is not a real sport. So there.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I have agree with you abou the subjective judging bit. However, curling is not subjective. There's a target and everything.

I've curled a few times before at my friend's scottish country club. Sweeping is tough work. I also fell flat on my ass. Maybe it was because I was drunk.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
They spray the ice with a mist so you get little beads on it. This reduces friction by reducing the contact points to the stone. The sweepers are trying to lower the spots and change the contact patch.

Yes, it is easy to fall down. When you're 8YO, however, your snowsuit is good padding. :) And the kid stones are only about 8kg, I think. We used light stones. The full size ones are around 20kg of polished granite.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
RavUnRex said:
I think it's pretty interesting to watch, or atleast it is while I'm at work.

this is what I've gathered:
4 people per team, slide the stone. The sweeping is supposed to remove moisture and ice to keep it going. You try to knock each other's stones out. At the end of each round, or "end", whoever has the most stones closest to the tee (the center) gets that many points (the number of stones close to the tee).
Sweeping can also be used to change the direction of the stone.
Kind of like a spin in bowling.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts