Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lights went out... You know the vent on/off in red( car is a '99) and I own this damn Haynes manual and it doesn't say anything of how to remove it and if I need to buy a bulb or what!!! So any help with this would be appreciated(I know it's not major, but I'm ANAL)!!!!

BTW It's the pass side if that matters.

-CHRIS

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yeah no problem. I just removed mine today and what I pain they are to get out. Getting the vents out of the dash is relatively easy and don't worry, you can't wreck the dash unless you are really cranking super-hard. The hard part is getting the stupid bulb out of the holder.

Since there are no pics on the write-up anymore, let me see if I can describe what you need to do to pull the bulb.

1. Get the vent out and disconnect the electrical connector (pulls straight out with force)

2. Hold vent in your hand so you are looking down on the empty electrical connector socket (should see 2 little pins down in socket)

3. Notice on one side between the amber light pipe and the black bulb socket you will see a very slight semi-circular dimple/cutout, this is the slot where you have to insert a "key" to unlock the bulb. I tried several items but ended up using something very strange. I was digging around my shop and stumbled across my old OEM windshield wipers. Each blade has 2 thin metal strips that are about .5mm thick, 2mm wide and the whole length of the wiper. I removed one of these strips and stuck that down in the semi-circular dimple (so it would be traveling along side the black bulb socket down into the vent assembly) until it wouldn't go any further (about 1 inch). Then grab some needle-nose pliers and pull the bulb out. Do NOT remove the "key" until bulb is all the way out or bulb will get stuck again. That's it! To reinstall, simply push the bulb in w/o using the key

Like I said, I tried several things as keys and ended up using a very thin/small piece of metal. Hard plastic like the write-up suggests would also work but it must be very hard. I tried using a zip-tie the first time and it was too flimsy.

Anyways, good luck and hope this helps. If you get stuck, send me a PM and I'll get you some pics of how it looks.

Laters,
-Chris

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Is it the center one, i was told you have to replace the whole unit :crazy: :suspicio: . Mine went tout about 1 yesar ago, and i want to get it done, just no time and not willing to replace the whole vent unit :evil: . Can you replace just bulbs in the center one? :thumbup:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Is it the center one, i was told you have to replace the whole unit . Mine went tout about 1 yesar ago, and i want to get it done, just no time and not willing to replace the whole vent unit . Can you replace just bulbs in the center one?
RAH,Yes you can just replace the bulbs in the center one just the same way as the outer ones (the center double vent is easier to remove than the two outer ones).
It's a pitty the pics have dissapeared on the info forum, as this showed the bulbs being replaced on the center vents !
P.S. If you order new bulbs from the stealership , order a few extra, as mine took 9 weeks to get from germany !!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I will be replacing my passenger side vent once the replacement hits my doorstep. I will take pictures. Hopefully one of our wonderful Moderators can then add the photos to the write up. Seems like it would help a lot of people out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.