Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys.

For three months I am an owner of a 2001 (non .5) vw passat. I was wondering what kind of "cheap mods" to do. The car has 43 thousand miles on it.

I was thinking k and n air filer but i hear that doesn't do much for the money you have to pay.

a N75 valve ( which i have no idea what it does)

Clear corners - I'll still be able to use the blinkers correct?

Not sure what else to do... thanks gentlemen (oh and ladies too)

and maybe that heat paper around the air box. if so can i get detailed instructions on a site somewhere on how to do it to a passat

Not looking to chip

·
Registered
302 Posts
depends what you call cheap? I'd say drop it with neuspeed sports when they are back in stock.. impoves look and performance. or and the NB sunglass holder is a must. :thumbup: yeah clear corners still allow the use of blinkers just essentially gets rid of the orange stripe on them.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Well, you drive a Passat. Nothing is particularly cheap on these babies. Springs themselves are inexpensive, but expect to pay about $200-$300 for installation.

For your $300, a chip is really the best bang for the buck. Do you have a 1.8t or a V6?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i own a 1.8 t..... anything else i could do though.... What if i did the heat shield, dropped a k and n airfilter in there and switched to the n75 valve... would i gain any hp

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That would probably get minimal power gains.....

I think a chip is your bet bet, then maybe a couple of these

K&N Filter
N75J Valve (if you want to control the turbo boost more)
Diverter Valve (they tend to fail if you chip it, but no horsepower gains, just run the car until it breaks)
Clear Corners/Side markers

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Skip the N75 purchase untill you have a *reason* to buy it (example: intake pressure spiking on a chipped engine causing "limp" mode).

Based on the age of the car, I'd do some "maintenance mods"... silicone vac lines, pollen filter, clean the TB, clean the MAF, etc. You may also want to save up for an auto-trans fluid swap in another 20k or so (VW claims lifetime, others here disagree)

Some more mods under $120:
Euroswitch
NB Sunglass Holder
Philips Vision Plus, or similar headlight bulbs
S2000 Antenna
Boost Gage
Turbo Timer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.