Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have looked! I need a picture... Well, I need a picture of the Combi Valve in the car. I can not find it! I have looked. I want to test it before I replace it. Anybody have a picture of this mystery valve?
:bow: :bow:
Sal :crazy:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sal, it is behind the engine near the top. On the passenger side, there are 2 tubes running parrell with the engine (at the top). The one on top goes to the N75 valve, and the one on the bottom goes to the Combi Valve. It is silver in color and iis near the back of the block right next to the Audi symbol stamped on the back of the head. If your engine cover has the blue and silver VW emblem like mine, then it is directly behind that right before the firewall (kind of in line behind the coil packs). I hope this helps. If I find a pic that shows it on here, I will let you know.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok...So, its not the Combi Valve...She Don't have one.... Then what is the problem??? Symptoms include... Loud Clicking noise that increases with RPM but, only at start-up. Car can sit for ten minutes and makes the same sound....Warm or Cold. Doesn't seem to matter. The sound is sort of like a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle. It only does it for 10-15 seconds and only under load. No performance issues. Once the sound stops...it does not start again unless the car has been sitting for a few minutes. Any ideas? Its really starting to worry me. :weirdo:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Those are typical symptoms of an exhaust leak.

Many 1.8t catalytic coverters have simply cracked and broken away at the flange where it meets the turbocharger.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a real PITA to fix. Guys at the exhaust place (origionally I had thought exhaust leak) to me it was a VW Shop problem... Guys at VW told me exhaust problem....then parts guy suggested that it might be a Combi Valve.

:mad:

Sal

·
Registered
397 Posts
Take the cover off of the air filter box. On top of the air box is a solnoid. That is what makes the clicking sound. And will continue to drive you crazy for the rest of your life.

My car has made the same noise sense the day I bought it. If you blip the gas it usually stops after a couple of seconds.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
podunk-b5 said:
Take the cover off of the air filter box. On top of the air box is a solnoid. That is what makes the clicking sound. And will continue to drive you crazy for the rest of your life.
That valve does click, but you can't hear that valve from inside the car, and the speed of the clicking does not increase with RPM.

·
Registered
310 Posts
podunk-b5 said:

My car has made the same noise sense the day I bought it. If you blip the gas it usually stops after a couple of seconds.
That solenoid does the same on my car, 00 1.8T ATW, but this problem sounds like a valve to me ... What kind of oil do you have in that car and when is the last time you changed it?

Alex

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont think its a valve...If it is, It is REALLY Loud! I use Synthetic... Every 7k miles...Last changed about two weeks agao... No Change.

I am hoping exhaust leak.

Sal

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
I had a clicking noise like that it was only under acceleration, was not the exhaust it was the gasket in the middle of my turbo. When I found it they just touched this gasket with a screwdriver (while car was running) and it stopped, till they took pressure off it.

Try this looking directly down on top of the turbo there should be a gasket between the exhaust side and the compressor side apply pressure to it while car is idling, if click stops, get a new turbo. :wink:

good luck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trouble is, It only does it while under Load! I would have to be riding in the engine bay with a screwdriver...I looked...There is no seatbelt there... And I sure as hell am not going to let the wife drive the car with me NOT wearing a SeatBelt!!!! :crazy:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like the cam chain tensioner to me, although that sound doesnt change with RPM's
Are you sure that yours fluctuates?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
8 Participants
redb5sdca
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing