Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
The cheapest power to cost ratio would defintaly be a chip. Like $400-500 for 40-50hp thats only around $10 per hp. If you get a chip i would also reccomend a DV to go with it, take a look at the Forge007 they run about $135. The stock DV can only handle like 8 or 9 psi
HTH
Jordan

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
AntWrig said:
After the chip is upgraded how long does the stock DV last?
depends. some people have it last a long time, others fail in a week or two. you could just do the chip now, and change the dv when it fails. the car will still operate with the failed dv, but it won't perform very well.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
AntWrig said:
After the chip is upgraded how long does the stock DV last?
depends. some people have it last a long time, others fail in a week or two. you could just do the chip now, and change the dv when it fails. the car will still operate with the failed dv, but it won't perform very well.
Yea, the stock DV just cant handle the boost that a chipped car would be putting out.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
jwk175 said:
how easy is a dv replacement procedure?? i'm getting an apr soon and would like to be able to replace the dv myself if possible, i'm handy but no car expert
Easy... check the info forum. There's a writeup in there somewhere. Basically jack the front end, drop the belly pan, undo three pipe clamps, swap DV's, put everything back together. It's a 2 out of 10 on the DIY scale.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
VWinOrlando said:
damn i can't wait to get my chip...don't you have to send your stock ECU in to have them solder it on or something like that?
yes, you do have to send in the stock ECU, and they'll solder a chip on it. some of the newer ones have DPP, so you don't have to solder on a new chip, but you'd still have to send it in. the other option, which i prefer, would be to bring it to a local tuner.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
yes, you do have to send in the stock ECU, and they'll solder a chip on it. some of the newer ones have DPP, so you don't have to solder on a new chip, but you'd still have to send it in. the other option, which i prefer, would be to bring it to a local tuner.
yeah, my brother told me about the local tuner thing...so theres no down time...thats probably what I'll do

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.