Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

oilpan replacement...

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ericpeterman 
#1 ·
yeah last night i bottomed out hard core and put a hole in my oil pan :( .. has anyone replaced their oil pan or oil pump themselves? is it even worth the time? how much time is involved here?

#3 ·
I just did this last Monday. I bottomed out hard and the light aluminum oil pan cracked. I was scared to do it but it is easy. Buy the oil pan and sealant from the dealer. You do have to remove what I thought was the front saw bar to get to the back bolts. But you only have to un screw like 4 bolts to make the sway bar move down to access the back oil pan bolts.

Simple.

#5 ·
thebassn8tr: Yours must be a v6. It's not trivial to pull the pan on the 1.8T.

E-mail me for instructions, as Ooinn99 says, 1.8Psst. Bottom line is you'll need a cherry picker or overhead lift, a jack, ramps, and a full set of tools and a full weekend. You also have to put the bumper in the service position. It'd be worth it to buy an air compressor and a 3/8" drive, in my opinion. (You can get a set for $150 at Wal-Mart).

You'll want to replace the oil pump while you're in there for $200 (GermanAutoParts.com) and you'll need a new gasket of course.

#9 ·
well mine is a 1.8T but oilpan sits over the top of the subframe. i have my car at my buddies house he has rotary lift and full tool set all tools i would ever need. from what i understand i need to support the motor from above then unbolt the subframe and then i can easily drop the oilpan... i ordered the new pan from dealership i have a friend that works there so i get his cost but anyways got the pan looks close but not the same as oem one so i think i need to have them reorder. this really sucks cause i wanted to try and get it done this weekend. i also think im gonna pick up a bently well im at it. any other tips would be great!

#12 ·
Ok, I've written up an MS Word instruction sheet for oil pan and oil pump replacement on the 1.8T in my '98 Passat with Tip. Anyone that is interested, e-mail me and I'll shoot you off a copy. I'd appreciate it if you'd respond with pics as you do yours so I can include them in a writeup for ClubB5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.