Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pick up my new baby (99 GLS) this weekend and will be changing my oil while there. The car has always had either Redline, Amsoil or Mobil 1 since 5k.

What oil weight do you guys use in your 1.8t Passats? Keep in mind I must stay synthetic and the weights aren't as abundant...

Thanks in advance,
Ian

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
My local NAPA store has it over the counter. I've heard some NAPA stores don't carry it, but can order it. Valvoline's part number is #966. Here, it's $4.49/quart. I buy the 6 pack cases - two cases gives me three oil changes.

You can order some of the Euro brands like Pentosin, Lubro-Moly etc over the Internet, but I have a problem with $7.00/quart delivered price. Synpower hits most, if not all, of the recommended specs (VW 50X, ACEA, API, ILSAC, etc) at 2/3's of the price of the Euros.

If you stick with the 5w-40 weight, you are buying synth, since no one makes a dino juice in that weight (to the best of my knowledge) in the States.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Amsoil recommends 10W30 Turbo formulation. They have just come out with a 5W40 that meets VW specs - they say the data sheet should be ready by April.

I just ran Amsoil Engine Cleaner thru my '99 recently to clean out any sludge. Don't know that I had any, but didn't hurt. How many miles on yours and what was the oil change interval?

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
GERMAN Castrol Syntec 0W30. :thumbup: Make sure it says "Made in Germany" on the bottle. True synthetic, not like the American made syntec which is Dino juice (synthetic dinosaurs? :suspicio: ). German made syntec meets & exceeds ALL VW & Audi specs. Pretty sure it is factory fill for Audi. Available at Autozone for $4.75 or so / quart. Throw in a little Militec-1 for good measure.
www.militec-1.com
check this out:
www.bobistheoilguy.com
more oil info than you can shake a stick at
:b5: 8)

·
Registered
151 Posts
ganseg said:
Amsoil recommends 10W30 Turbo formulation. They have just come out with a 5W40 that meets VW specs - they say the data sheet should be ready by April.

I just ran Amsoil Engine Cleaner thru my '99 recently to clean out any sludge. Don't know that I had any, but didn't hurt. How many miles on yours and what was the oil change interval?
Amsoil's 5W30 also carries the VW specs. I was looking at Mobil1 0W40 but after seeing the testing results on Amsoil think I might switch to Amsoil 5W30 instead.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
poohbear said:
GERMAN Castrol Syntec 0W30. :thumbup: Make sure it says "Made in Germany" on the bottle. True synthetic, not like the American made syntec which is Dino juice (synthetic dinosaurs? :suspicio: ). German made syntec meets & exceeds ALL VW & Audi specs. Pretty sure it is factory fill for Audi. Available at Autozone for $4.75 or so / quart. Throw in a little Militec-1 for good measure.
www.militec-1.com
check this out:
www.bobistheoilguy.com
I use german spec mobil 1, poured by a german born mechanic, using a german made funnel :suspicio:

its friggen' oil!!! :D

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
b5-turbonium said:
poohbear said:
www.militec-1.com
check this out:
www.bobistheoilguy.com
I use german spec mobil 1, poured by a german born mechanic, using a german made funnel :suspicio:

its friggen' oil!!! :D
What he ^said :lol: :lol: ... but hey poohbear, you got anything to back your claim ? sure you want to use 0W-30 on your B5 ?

·
Registered
531 Posts
REDLINE 5w30! I ran AutoRx cleaner and then went to the Redline 5w-30. It was so smooth, I love it. Also heard that the 5w-40 is a good option as well. Check the site Bobistheoilguy.com for more info.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just found and bought some 5w50 Castrol Syntec. Will this work?

It covers the weight range recommended, just a bit farther on one end of the scale...

·
Registered
46 Posts
The point about stressing "Made in Germany" on the bottle of Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is that this formulation is different than the American made 0W-30 that preceded it, which did not meet ACEA A3, nor the required VW/Audi specs. I too have spent some time on Bobistheoilguy.com and there's lots of good praise for this oil which seems to be a PAO/Ester blend (i.e. a "true" synthetic in the old sense of the word.) It seems to be a very good oil at a good price point. It has excellent cold pour numbers, good high temperature/high shear values and its green - what could be better? :D
Don't let the 0W-30 viscosity scare you either. It is at the thick end of the 30 weight scale when at operating temperature, almost approaching a 40 weight. It's providing good protection, but not creating excess friction on the engine's moving parts, like a 50 weight might. The 0 part means it gets moving very quickly on a cold start to protect right away.
Good stuff - I use it in my V6 and 1.8T!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Another vote for German Castrol 0w-30. Meets the vw specs and my 03 v6 runs smooth as silk on this stuff. I tried the Mobil 0w-40 and it did well until I had about 4000k miles on it. Then I started to notice it was running a little rough at a hot idle. I pulled the plug on it and put in the Castrol and it just runs better! The 0w-40 has a history of thinning into a 30w which causes sludge in your motor.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I plan on switching from mobil 1 0w-40 to valvoline syntec 5w40 from Napa on my next oil change now that the weather is starting to warm up a bit. OH, for any of you guys with 5-speeds who are interested, Napa also sells Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 synthetic gear oil too. I plan on switching to this my next oil change too. Theyre website says that it meets both GL-4 and GL-5 requirements. Our trannys require anything that meets GL-4 requirements. Any oil that meets GL-5 tends to corrode and ruin the brass syncros in a tranny, its meant more for rear differentials. But anyways, they're website said that it is non-corrosive to soft metals such as brass, and that its ok for transmissions. I'll let you guys know how it works if anyone cares.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So can I use the 5w50 I just purchased until my next oil change or is it too thick once it reaches operating temperature?

Thanks for the links... I think next time I'll order the Castrol Syntec 5w40 from oil-store.com!

While I was in WalMart looking for the oil, I ran across this Fram SureDrain product:

Proprietary SureDRAIN Valve - this unique, heavy duty Actuator Valve is precision engineered to permanently replace your existing oil drain plug and allow instant oil access and draining.

Twist on Drain Hose - Designed for fast, easy, twist on operation, the heavy duty FRAM drain hose starts the flow of oil directly into your receptacle with the turn of your wrist.

Added Protection Dust Cover - To keep the SureDRAIN valve free from road dirt and safe from undercarriage debris, the ultra-rugged SureDRAIN dust cover locks firmly into place until the next oil change. Like all SureDRAIN parts, this dust cover has been tested against leaks, corrosion, vibration and road damage.
Thoughts on this?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts