Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the longest time i had an oil/gas smell in my car...years actually.....and just now i figured it out!

there is an entire breather system UNDER the intake manifold COMPLEATELY out of sight unless you are looking for it.....

i peeked between the intake runners, and sw the problem.....one of many rubber hoses were soft, and brittle, and one even with a gaping HOLE in it!

so i looked up all the parts in there, and thoes ralated to the system, and ordered....

total came to $100.....for FIFTEEN seperate pieces.......all of which were eaten away by the caustic oil vapors!

i also ordered up a new cabin filter, and a bunch of other parts including a new clutch, flywheel, timing belt, tensioner for timing belt, tensioner for accessory belt, water pump, mass air meter, belts, oil cooler hoses, and all kinds of other fun stuff.....

best part is, my friend will let me 'rent' out one of his lifts at his shop for $50 for the whole day....should be abl to get it all done in one sitting!

Monday today i ordered parts.....now imust play the waiting game :(

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have the AEB 1.8t 1999

also, YMMV, and this is my specific case...

Breather assembly = 037 103 772 B $25.22
Gasket = 048 103 771 $6.76
o-ring gasket = N 904 673 01 $2.47
breather tube (plastic) = 058 103 213 $20.95
round seal = N 904 673 01 $2.47
retaining spring = 037 121 142 A $0.70
Valve housing (“T”) 058 103 247 $7.22
Bleeder valve = 035 103 245 A $6.76
Breather hose to manifold = 058 103 221 A $15.59
N 905 618 01 (x3) clip
N 102 581 01 (x1) clip
N 102 555 01 (x1) clip
N 102 582 01 (x1) clip

·
Registered
732 Posts
In my case it was a cracked breather tube and a coked up PCV valve. I replaced the breather tube and cleaned out the PCV valve and the "T" and the metal breather tube that runs behind the head to the turbo side. No more nasty burning oil and gas smell.

It sure was fun working under the intake manifold. :suspicio: You'll need a good 1/4" drive socket set with all the extensions to do the hose clamps. Remove the coolant tank and the air intake hose from the throttle body. Also, clean everything under there thoroughly with degreaser before you start. Makes it easier.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I replaced all of those vacuum hoses for about $5 by buying it in bulk from Autozone. As for the valves, etc. I cleaned the ones that looked bad out with some brake cleaner and it seems to be OK afterwards.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
SLAB- Thanks for posting the part #'s! :thumbup: I think I may have this problem on my '99 AEB. Put me down as another vote for pictures if you take them.

BTW, didn't you change your TB and tensioner ~1.5 yrs ago...or am I thinking about somebody else?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I think I have this same problem on my 98 AEB. I replaced my Valve Cover Gasket a little while ago and thought that would solve the problem. It didn't, now it's either the Cam Shaft Seal or this. I'm hoping it's this :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, i did replace my timing belt tensioner a while ago to th new style...

the clutch will take me 8 hours if im on the ground....it will be nothing if i have a lift.....i speculate about 4 hours max. it shoiuld take less than that!

disconnect the linkage, half shafts, slave cyl. line, then unbolt the trans-engine bolts, and the mount bolts, and move the transmission away from the car.....clean it, then swap the flywheel/clutch and re-install..

i hope to get all that done in a day...

i will be removing the intake manifold for replacing the breather

ill do that one at home tho....because i can let the heated parts washer clean the manifold and throttle body....and i will replace the injector seals...

ill get pics if i can tho.....

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think I have this same problem on my 98 AEB. I replaced my Valve Cover Gasket a little while ago and thought that would solve the problem. It didn't, now it's either the Cam Shaft Seal or this. I'm hoping it's this
If it's not the breather tube being cracked or something in that area and you end up having the cam seal leak, do yourself a $ favor. Thoroughly clean the back of the head with Purple Power or other wash-off degreaser (do it several times to get the head and the turbo oil line heat shield clean) and then drive it and look for leaks over several days. If the cam seal leaks, try an application of Auto-RX to the oil before paying the $ to get the seals replaced. Gunk can get under the seals allowing the leaks and Auto-RX can clean that out (and clean your engine innards of the oil coked by the turbo on the AEB engine).

BTW, I used VWFool2000's post to diagnose and fix my breather hose and PCV problems. It got rid of the nasty oil smell in the cabin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.