Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on buying a VDO oil temperature sender from 42draftdesigns.com but the sender is designed for use with a VDO gauge.. im going to get an autometer oil temp gauge, and it comes with a "1/8" NPT Sender"... it sounds different than the one from VDO, so i just wasn't sure if it would work in the same location as the VDO sender, VDO temp sender location page 27 (plug 10 in the little diagram) anyone know if it will work?

-2002 passat b5.5 1.8t

thanks

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
doubt it will work, everything is metric to work with the Vag stuff thats there, I may be wrong.

To answer the above, no National Pipe thread doesnt work with metric from what I have seen.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, thanks for the responses guys :) now im just wondering if an autometer cobalt gauge will work with either of those senders

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
You'll need to relocate the sender as it is too big to be threaded in directly to the #10 hole. A good alternative is to use the VDO VW tee in the OEM sender hole. Use the OEM sender in the straight through part and the VDO in the 90 degree part. Turn it to about 2:00 and it will fit. Here's a pic:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You'll need to relocate the sender as it is too big to be threaded in directly to the #10 hole. A good alternative is to use the VDO VW tee in the OEM sender hole. Use the OEM sender in the straight through part and the VDO in the 90 degree part. Turn it to about 2:00 and it will fit. Here's a pic:
whoa, is that the temp sender? i hope its a pressure sender, because thats way bigger than i was expecting for just the temp..

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

I'm not sure what engine that is in the pic, but it's different than my ATW. This 90 degree adapter WILL NOT fit in the ATW. I just ordered one, waited 2 weeks, only to find you can't turn the 90 elbow to screw it in due to the metal on the oil cooler that's in the way. :(. The only option that seems like it will work for the ATW is the 42DD relocation kit. Guess i'll try that. There is a plug that is in the back of the oil cooler toward the firewall that has the stock sender but it's a large bolt and doens't look like M10x1. Anyone know if that's the case?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts