Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just received this message on this chilly morning shortly after taking off with my car.
Although it dissappeared and never came back ... i'm still scared that something is up?

It happened kinda at the same time as the temperature snowflake chime so maybe it's a glitch?!? Anyways, I pulled over but didn't turn off the car and it went away .

Any ideas ?

JR

·
Registered
888 Posts
Best case is that your oil is a little low and the pressure dropped this morning. Check your oil and top up if necessary. Worse case is that your oil pump pick-up tube is clogged with sludge and you're a few hundred miles from a total engine failure. Let's hope you're just low on oil.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for response...

Would the light necessarily stay on if this is the case ?
I'm bringing it in for an oil change in two days ( maybe it was a sign :) )

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Take this as a warning sign and get your oil pressure checked by a reputable shop. Not many people get too many warnings. If the oil isn't low i'd get it checked if it were my car. Good luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i'm going for an oil change this Friday and I hope it's related to low oil.
If it was low oil wouldn't the light stay on ?

Else it's something more complexe :(

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Take this as a warning sign and get your oil pressure checked by a reputable shop. Not many people get too many warnings. If the oil isn't low i'd get it checked if it were my car. Good luck!
This is good advice. I wouldn't take the car in for an oil change Friday, I would do this. If your pressure is low you should take action immediately and thank the VW sensor gods that you got a warning...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yes certainly don't count on the oil change helping this. If you have a blocked pick up tube you will be running your engine with not enough oil getting to the bearings and other important stuff. Think of the oil light on the Passat not as a warning light but a STOP and don't drive me light. Basically when you see that light the engine is getting NO oil. I hate to see people ignore or not take this oil pressure issue seriously as it's a relatively "cheap" fix for a potentially catostrophic failure. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Well i'm going for an oil change this Friday and I hope it's related to low oil.
If it was low oil wouldn't the light stay on ?

Else it's something more complexe :(
It could come on when you turn left, for instance, and then clear up. Don't wait if this is a car you want to keep and not have to sink big $$$ into. Check the oil, if it's not low then worry enough to do a pressure test.

My oil warning came on for a minute in the morning, and by the afternoon it was on full time.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Run, don't drive, to the nearest tech who can get them to figure out what is wrong. Did you check the oil level at all? When talking about a VW, you don't *hope* for anything.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
OP

Be advised, it's not always "low oil" OR "oil pressure". I got the same thing....all the chimes and lights went off with that infamous message. Turned out to be my camshaft sensor (or camshaft position sensor)....went out and made my car cut off completely.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
To the OP: We have had quite a few folks here post something along the lines of: "I got an intermittent "STOP Low Oil Pressure" for the last couple of weeks, my car made a loud "clank" and now it won't start! Help!"

Don't let this be you.

If it isn't low on oil (you can check this right now), drive (or better yet, if you have AAA, get towed) to a shop so they can run an oil pressure test.

SirWired

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I started the car and drove home this afternoon and no light... I guess it's better news and I'll wait till it happens again after the oil change.

Thx for all your advice !

·
Registered
889 Posts
I guess it's better news and I'll wait till it happens again after the oil change
1.Please re-read everthing above your last post.
2.Then have hot oil pressure checked with appropriate gauge.
3. If low remove oil pan and replace pickup tube.

Failure to follow the above steps will result in a large loss of cash or another Passat salvage car.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
i get this warning in my V6 when i'm about 3k miles down the road. it's from a lighter weight oil than spec, so quite a bit slips past the rings.

it reads "stop oil pressure low" when i corner hard enough to slosh it. lol

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Ok I started the car and drove home this afternoon and no light... I guess it's better news and I'll wait till it happens again after the oil change.

Thx for all your advice !
When the oil pressure light comes on, the oil pressure is already hideously below spec. We are not talking about a minor drop here... when that light is on, the believes it is on the hairy edge of irreversible damage.

Yes, it may just be a bad sensor; but it may be something much worse.

Since you are getting your oil changed Real Soon Now, make sure you have it done at a shop that can perform an oil pressure test. And NEVER have the oil changed at a QuickLube...

SirWired

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
does anyone happen to know the name of that group that does the oil tests?

i'm talking about the one where you get a little container from them, and send in a sample of your used oil give them the general driving info of the car, mileage, etc. and they get back to you?

that would be a wise thing to do.
also, i forgot who it was, and would like to have one run.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I'm confused ... If the oil level was low wouldn't the sensor come on all the time ?
I think you have many confused because we don't know what engine you have. Why don't you add it to your profile????

I recall from other posts, you have a V6 so the oil pressure warning is likely to be from either low oil level or bad sensor and less likely from a bad oil pump.

Did you do as bungle suggested??? and check you oil level??? If you have to add more than a quart probably closer to 2 quarts, then it's possible that low oil is causing the low pressure.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts