Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Oil supply line, affecting CCT?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  akremedy 
#1 ·
I have been looking around for 2 Cam chain tensioners as my engine rattle has been getting worse over the past 1.5 years since my TB job. One shop I stoped in at (German shop), suggested I try cleaning/blowing out the oil supply line going from the oil pump to the cam chain tensioners. Does this sound like a reality?

If so, how difficult would this be to accomplish? I have the space and knowledge to replace an entire powertrain, on a Mustang, but these German cars seem backwards on everything. (Metric? -JK:crazy:)

I have a 2002 Passat GLX 4Mo, with the ATQ engine. almost 150K mi on it.

#2 ·
The oil supply runs through the block. I don't know of any way to clean it out with the engine in the car. How long do the tensioners rattle? Mine lasts for a second or two on startup but has not changed in years.

#3 ·
Mine seem to get louder the warmer the car gets. Lately seems like the rattle is getting louder and an ever slight vibration is starting. Been noticing it for the last 2 years since I had the timing belt replaced, by VW. I know its not the water pump or the belt tensioner, I had those checked out again by a VW tech.

#4 ·
I would check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge just in case. The CCT for your car are pretty pricey, I would run thicker oil before spending that kind of money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.