Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys.

I have 2003 1.8T with 98k miles and I've been using mobil 1 0W40 and 5W40 since 5k. The problem is I just changed to German Castrol(0W30) the other day and I've noticed oil buring smell(I think) when the engine gets warm. I haven't noticed any leaks................ that's because my engine bay is pretty dirty. My car barely has any oil consumption during my 4k OCI. I would appreciate any help I can get.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I don't understand how it just started doing that after I changed to different oil. Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
shuPASSAT said:
Sup guys.

I have 2003 1.8T with 98k miles and I've been using mobil 1 0W40 and 5W40 since 5k. The problem is I just changed to German Castrol(0W30) the other day and I've noticed oil buring smell(I think) when the engine gets warm. I haven't noticed any leaks................ that's because my engine bay is pretty dirty. My car barely has any oil consumption during my 4k OCI. I would appreciate any help I can get.
Check the PCV system - they have well-deserved reputation for plugging up and having other problems. Mine did. If it is not functioning properly, it will cause crankcase pressurization and an oil-vapor smell. It may be that you are just now noticing it, since the new oil may have a stronger smell.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Maybe your old oil kept the seal intact and then when you switched it loosened the seal and oil started to seep. With your milage, you were probably overdue anyway on the seals.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DaveW said:
Check the PCV system - they have well-deserved reputation for plugging up and having other problems. Mine did. If it is not functioning properly, it will cause crankcase pressurization and an oil-vapor smell. It may be that you are just now noticing it, since the new oil may have a stronger smell.
I've already changed ALL the valves so my PCV systems running pretty good. As MP33dave said, I'm pretty sure the cam seals the problem here. Thanks everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts