Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My previous thread about my car developing the 1.8 turbo sludge problem doesn't seem to be active anymore, but I have uncovered something involving it that I'm seeking opinions on.

While trying to find all my filter/oil receipts (which is tough because some were sent in for rebates), I found the plastic window sticker indicating when the car was next due for service. This mileage was what I based my last oil change on. Well, the dealer listed that mileage as being 8000 miles from when I had my car there, so my oil was in there for 8000 and developed sludge. In retrospect I wish I had done a recalculation of their math, but I generally start looking at mileage after a few months depending on how much I been traveling.

So, has anyone ever experienced having developed a problem due to being misled by the dealer and able to use it to hold them to a warranty, specifically with the sludge issue ? Any opinions ?

Thanks,
Ratdog

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
First, both your previous threads are out there. Second, are you saying that the dealer changed your oil at X miles and placed a sticker on the window saying your next oil change was to be at X + 8000 miles. (Maybe the dealer got confused between kilometers and miles. The OCI is 8000 kilometers or 5000 miles.) So you simply changed the oil when the sticker said to change it which meant the oil was in the engine for 8000 miles. Then, before you could change oil again, you had the sludge issue. Are the miles when the oil was changed by the dealer correct on your dealer sales receipt. In other words, do you get the same miles that is on the sticker for your next oil change if you add 8000 miles to the miles on your car when the oil was changed based on the dealer sales receipt. How many miles on the car now and how many miles since you purchased it?

·
Never forgets
2,380 Posts
My opinion is that it is the OWNERS RESPONSIBILITY to insure oil changes are performed in a timely and documented manner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy, you guys must work for VW.

Yes, it is the owners responsibility to have the car maintained on time. But it's also the dealer's responsibility not to provide incorrect servicing intervals.
I was following their advice...when you're paying over $300 for basically an air filter, spark plug and oil change, you'd hope that the dealership would correctly indicate the next time you come in. Plus there are likely plenty of customers, older folks in particular dependent on the dealer for all maintenance needs, that would be using the sticker as a reminder for their next service.

To kenblasko...the mileage interval they calculated isn't even exactly 8000 miles, it's only roughly so. And I'd think they would be using miles, because the odometers are not in kilometers. I did my own oil change at that last interval, so there is not another sticker to compare to. The dealership is giving me grief about not having held onto every filter receipt for documentation (I have located most of them), yet their own documentation to me is flawed.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I'm trying to think what else you could use for documentation. If you took your used oil to Autozone or some other place that enters it into their computer maybe autozone could print off the oil you disposed of with dates, quantity, etc. If you used filter receipts for rebates maybe you could show deposit receipts for the rebate checks, etc. I know these may be stretches but if you can gather up the filter receipts that you have and any other documents that support more oil changes than the receipts for the filters that you have and put together a convincing story with a documentation time line, maybe the dealer will be sympathetic. Although they can deny a sludge claim for missing one receipt, I'll bet they have made exceptions to warranty issues in the past.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
What I am trying to figure out is that even if the dealer has lousy handwriting or poor math skills, how hard is it to figure out when the car is due for service? It t requires an oil change every 5K miles... You don't need a window sticker to tell you that if the fourth digit from the end of the odo is a "5" or "0" you are due for service. If the car required changes every 4,500, or some other wacky number, then things might be more difficult, but that isn't the case here.

SirWired

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
sirwired,

I agree with you-- even though vw places stickers on my windshield for the next interval--mainly at 5k.. i normally call VW for oil change schedule at 3500k from odo from the last time i had an oil change. I'm the one that drives the car 99% of the time--so i should know approximately, when 3k hits.. My car now has 162k (1999) so far so good..no signs of negative affects from previous dino oil that VW use to provide, perhaps i'm lucky enough to not have much build up..(fingers crossed). VW has since been using bigger oil filter and synth for about a year and half now

e

·
Registered
175 Posts
The dealer is saying you have a sludge issue b/c of ONE late(3000 miles) oil change interval? I would think if you had a sludge issue, it surely would not be b/c of one tardy oil change!

·
Registered
94 Posts
ratdog said:

Yes, it is the owners responsibility to have the car maintained on time. But it's also the dealer's responsibility not to provide incorrect servicing intervals.
I was following their advice...when you're paying over $300 for basically an air filter, spark plug and oil change, you'd hope that the dealership would correctly indicate the next time you come in. Plus there are likely plenty of customers, older folks in particular dependent on the dealer for all maintenance needs, that would be using the sticker as a reminder for their next service.

To kenblasko...the mileage interval they calculated isn't even exactly 8000 miles, it's only roughly so. And I'd think they would be using miles, because the odometers are not in kilometers. I did my own oil change at that last interval, so there is not another sticker to compare to. The dealership is giving me grief about not having held onto every filter receipt for documentation (I have located most of them), yet their own documentation to me is flawed.
The manufacturer, VW, and their "agent", the dealer - supplied you with a comprehensive document called an owner's manual. I belive that the manual clearly spells out the oil change interval.

Given the way most of these "documents" are written, it is probably at a 4th grade level and readily understandable by anyone short of the village idiot.

Try reading it before you go off on a tangent blaming the dealer.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I went to miller VW in CT and when i took it in to oil change, they always used non-synthetic. When i would ask if they had synthetic, they would say no, or they will soon and they are using the last of the non-synthetic barrels. I never really questions them because i thought they knew what they were doing... i guess not, and now they are out of business... im just waiting to get a sludge issue ...

·
Registered
159 Posts
ratdog said:

I'm not sure if this is useful information : http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=151&did=1085

·
Registered
159 Posts
Aagiants said:
I went to miller VW in CT and when i took it in to oil change, they always used non-synthetic. When i would ask if they had synthetic, they would say no, or they will soon and they are using the last of the non-synthetic barrels. I never really questions them because i thought they knew what they were doing... i guess not, and now they are out of business... im just waiting to get a sludge issue ...
Instead of waiting to get a sludge issue, why not start using the correct oil and look into this : http://rms13.com/stats.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts