Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am going to fill up my oil for the first time in my B6, and I was wondering what particular brand/type you enthusiasts use.

Also, does it matter what wiper fluid I use? Anything I should stay away from? I ask because a mechanic once told me the pink fluid that comes from the factory is "bad."

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
mobile 1 0w-40 here...any of the oils on the list are fine to use. For wiper fluid I use the RainX one that works really well to clean while putting on a thin layer of rainx.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Motul 8100 X-Cess, Elf Excellium LDX and Pentosynth 5W-40 are what I highly recommend. Not too keen on using 0W-40 oils due to consumption issues in some environments!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Any opinions on Lubri Moly 5W-40 Full Synthetic?
It's german made and it is always updated to meet the latest german auto oil specs. Straight from their website:

API SM / CF; ACEA A3-98/B3-98 Issue2/B4-98; BMW Longlife-98, MB 229.1, MB 229.3, VW 502.00, 505.00, Porsche alle Fahrzeuge

I have been using it in my B5.5 1.8T for the last couple of years.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
can you elaborate on the consumption issues?
I experienced 1 to 1.5Qt. oil loss when running Mobil-1 0W-40 on my W8 on a 5000 mile OCI. I had little to no oil loss when running 5W-40's! I also noticed that my W8 ran smoother on the European Synthetics than Castrol Syntec or Valvoline SynPower. Since the 20,000 mile OCI on the W8, I've only run Pentosynth, Lubro-Molly, or Motul engine oils.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've used Mobil 1 0W-40 for over 5 years with zero consumption (or any other issue), and in Central IL we certainly have as much in the way of environmental extremes as the DC area. It's hard to see what about the oil could be causing that level of consumption. Of course, for our car (2004 SAAB 9-5) this is the specified oil, although it does meet VW's 502.00 spec.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts