Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 w8 and I was wondering if I need to use synthetic oil. I just bought the car, and see that the previous owner did not. I also wonder about the transmission service? Is that fluid lifetime?

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
I have a 2002 w8 and I was wondering if I need to use synthetic oil. I just bought the car, and see that the previous owner did not. I also wonder about the transmission service? Is that fluid lifetime?
Why not use synthetic? I use GC 0W30 in my '04 W8.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yes, but I guess I was wondering if they came out off the factory with synthetic, and if synthetic is part of dealership recomended oil services.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Well the dealership is going to tell you that using synthetic is not necessary, but this doesn't mean you shouldn't. Synthetic is better to use in any engine application, it lubricates the engine better, has a lower operating temperature, and is less likely to sludge. It's your car but if you plan on keeping it for awhile use synthetic on the next oil change. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info

ok, that answered my question, I will go over to castrol full synthetic 5w-30.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Are you kidding???

The previous owner may have damaged this car if they didn't use Volkswagen 502.x or 505.x specification engine oils. The oils which meet this specification are all synthetics! Volkswagen only used synthetic oils for any scheduled maintenance on the W8! No exceptions... Please have your local dealership use a boroscope and check this engine for any signs of sludging... If there's sludging please have them run this engine on a Febi-Bilstein or BG Engine Purge machine, and start using VW approved oils.

Here's a heads up.. If you follow VW's Schedule for service on your W8, you must watch the oils you use! VW recommends service every 10,000 miles and you shouldn't trust any oil for that mileage interval. Castrol Syntec 5W-40, Valvoline SynPower are readily available in the U.S. and meet VW's Extended OCI specification. There's a few other oils I like better than Castrol and Valvoline, but they are more expensive. Do some research in the threads because this topic comes up quite often!

Many dealerships will run the line that the transmission fluid is lifetime, but ZF Transmissions states that the fluid should be changed every 50-60K miles. It's highly recommended to have your transmission pan/filter/gasket and fluid changed during this mileage interval. There's a few threads where folks have used various ATF's with their VW's, but to be on the safe side stick with VW/Audi G-052-162-A2 spec. fluids such as Pentosin ATF-1.

I hope this helps,

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
12 Posts
To Swami:
Is it possible to detect even slight amount of sludge with the boroscope? Any idea how much dealership charge for a boroscope check? I could not find what an engine purge machine does. I have read about the working of Auto-rx. Could someone enlighten me on the working of engine purge machine?

·
Registered
871 Posts
W8 requires (accordin to manual) oil that doesn't exist. THey ask for oil that has VW 502, 503.01 and 505.01. First is kinda current VW standart for gasoline engines, 503.01 is extended OCI for oil monitor equipped vehicles (NA W8s are not) and 505.01 is for newer generation of diesels. Closest I found ws oil that has 502, 503.01 and 505. One fine representative that is fairly easily obtainable is German Castrol 0W-30 oil. This is what I used for last OC and I am happy with results so far, engine is a bit quiter and smoother, especially at idle, and gas milage improved. Local dealer uses ELF 5W-40 synthetic oil that is blend of Group III and IV bases and is not a "true" synthetic. It carries 502 and 505 standarts. Many dealers use "american" Castrol synthec 5W-40 for synthetic OC. It decent Group III based oil, not a true synthetic again. Lubromoly is one of few oils that has "Designed for W-line of engines" on the cover that is somewhat obtainable in US, is a good oil but is very expensive if compared to German Castrol. So far I am sticking to German Castrol, price is right and all evidence points to it being the same oil as sold in Europe Castrol SLX, which is a great oil and is meant for W-line of engines (as in mentioning it on the cover).

·
Registered
973 Posts
Lets not forget about Motul 8100 Ester E-Tech 0W-40, 100% Synthetic Ester Based .

Specifically designed for powerful and recent cars, diesel direct injection or gasoline engines and catalytic converters. Recommended for Audi TT and S3 and all W engines from Volkswagen group. Suitable for leaded or unleaded gasoline, Diesel fuels and LPG.

PERFORMANCE
STANDARDS - ACEA A3 / B3 / B4
APPROVALS API SJ / CF
VW 502 00 / 505 00 / 503.01 - Mercedes Benz 229.3 - Porsche

This 100% synthetic engine oil has been formulated, developed and tested according to the most recent technical requirements. It largely exceeds the stringent specified engine performance limits required by the European and US car manufacturers.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Yeah, I forgot Motul. It's good oil, $$$
it's not too bad. i picked up 8100 for $6/L. granted, i got a discount on it, but it normally sells for under $7/L anyways at ecode. i actually paid more for mobil 1 ep (which i don't believe is vw 502.00, but that's besides the point)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
These guys are good at freaking you out for not using the recommended oil. You'll be fine. Just use the synthetic from this point forward. sheesh.

·
Registered
973 Posts
These guys are good at freaking you out for not using the recommended oil. You'll be fine. Just use the synthetic from this point forward. sheesh.
Who's freaking him out:crazy: And who the hell are you to be the final answer:poke: At least give him sound advice. Of course, not owning a W8, it easy to give whatever advice since you don't risk the possibility of something going wrong and a big repair bill. I'm not saying a non-vw approved oil will cause damage, but VW or the service contract administrator doesn't have to cover an engine breakdown if you didn't follow the rules and use the approved oil.

If he's under warranty (5yr/60k drivetrain) or extended service contract, he better use the recommended VW spec oil (synthetic and 502.00). And for a $1-2 more, get some good oil.

This yahoo will have you getting ACME synthetic oil (not vw approved)...sheesh.

EDIT** D.Passat00 sums it up below. As far as oils, most of us W8 owners use: Motul, Castrol GC, Pentosynth, LubroMoly. If you're worried about spending a few extra bucks on oil, then maybe you should get a Geo Prism.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
yeah, if you're under warranty, use only vw approved oils. if not (or if you don't care about warranty), then you can use whatever you want so long as it's a high quality synthetic that will meet the needs of the car.

·
Registered
973 Posts
so then 8100 does meet the owners manuals requirements for the w8, correct?
My owner's manual states 503.01, so yes it does meet it. However, Swami found out VW only requires 502.00, since the 503.01 is for cold climates. I like the Motul since your covered w/ both.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My owner's manual states 503.01, so yes it does meet it. However, Swami found out VW only requires 502.00, since the 503.01 is for cold climates. I like the Motul since your covered w/ both.
My understanding is that 503.01 is for extended oci as used in europe.

·
Registered
973 Posts
My understanding is that 503.01 is for extended oci as used in europe.
It is an extended OCI oil, but I thought their was a post regarding VW changing the oil spec for the W8 to 502, something to do with initially called for colder climates. Afterall, I think any true synthetic no matter what the spec is meant to be an extended OCI oil relative to a dino..

But anyway why would someone risk an extended OCI on a W8? $50 every 5k miles = piece of mind.

EDIT: Here is a quote from Swami regrading the 503 spec oil, "W8inde, VW's 503 spec was a low-temperature oil for W8/W12 applications in 2002. If your driving environment reaches -40C, then you should be concerned about using Castrol 0W-30, Pentosynth 0W-30, or the Motul oils. 502/505 spec oils will not void your warranty and offer excellent protection for your W8's engine."

·
Registered
871 Posts
503.01 is not the same as 503. 503.01 is for extended OCI use in W-line of engines equiped with oil life monitor, potentially for 25K km/ 2 year OCI, if oil monitor allows.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts