Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Oil Pump shaft missaligned? 1.8t AEB

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  billybobjerky 
#1 ·
So... My car starts throwing a low oil pressure light about 5 minutes after the water temp guage hits opperating temp. sometimes lower engine revs would make it go away, but it always came back pulling away from the stoplight.

Read a ton of post about sludge and pulling the oil pan/pump and decided that it was worth a shot.

Tried and tried to get the pan out by just lifting the engine, but no go. Tried to pull the pump but the shaft was too long. loosly remounted the pump and pan. Dropped the motor to change the jack stands possition so I could lower the sub-frame. Droped the front bolts, loosened the back of the sub-frame, added a jackstand to the tranny just in case. Finally had enough room.

Dropped the pan and cleaned it (caked with tar, small amount of derbis). removed the pickup tube for the pump and found tons of derbis! Chunks of black and redish plastic, and tons of little metal chunks wedged in the screen. Cleaned all that out to ~80% origional flow (lots of time). Retightened the pump bolts expecting the shaft could not miss its power feed from the motor. reassembled with new oil pan gasket.

Tried to start it and NO oil pressure at all. tons of nasty noises and the oil light comes on after ~7 sec of running (only tried three times with pauses).

here come the questions:
1) Can the oil pump be installed to where the oil pump shaft does not have a power feed?
2) I use a little heavier weight high detergent oil (DELO 30) to clean the rest of the motor. Could the oil be too thick?
3) I primed the oil filter with delo hoping to feed oil faster on the first start. Could the primed filter be stopping the pump From priming?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Can't help much.

Did my oil pump last year (AEB). Came out easy and went back in easy. I can't see how it would go back in if it were not 'integrating' correctly with the 'cogs' driving it.

Could the driveshaft have sheared somehow? or be blocked (I forget, does oil run up it?)

Also, I managed mine relatively easily once I'd got the engine raised a few inches. Didn't need to touch subframe

#5 ·
As you need something to support the engine either way I figured I might as well leave the subframe alone once I'd bought an engine crane (tried begging / borrowing one for several months prior but no joy). That was how I arrived at my decision (along with the fact that a chap I know on the net who works for a dealership said that was how their techs did it too). Job went relatively smoothly for a passat job too :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.