Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 AUG. Bought it used and since then had a new turbo, cam seals and the oil sludge TSB done under the 5/50K warranty. I now have loud ticking and Engine Code P0011. Dealer said new CCT, VWoA told me out of warranty. I'm getting ready to do this myself when I came across other posts that fit my problem description.

Better at cold start, loud at hot idle, quiet over 1000 RPM.

Since the CCT is ~$400 and the oil pump is ~$140 I was thinking of tackling the oil pump first. Is this a low, medium or high skill DIY? On my scale I would rate the CCT at medium skill. Couldn't find any post that went into detail like the CCT, if I missed one please let me know.

Thanks.
dab

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oil pump replacement requires an engine hoise or heavy garage beam with come-along or similar way to lift the engine. It's at least 1 full day with power tools, 2 days without them and you'll spend a lot of time on your back under the car. I have the procedure I used if you're interested. It's in MS Word and can be emailed.

Caution: secure the hoisted engine with backup chains or cables. You could lose a limb or die if your primary hoist fails at any point while you're under there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to take a look but this might be off my skill chart.
bretz(at)comcast(dot)net

Thanks.
dab

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Consider checking the oil pressure with a gage before concluding the oil pump is weak and in need of replacement. Much easier than replacing the pump and probably within your skill level.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've done this and only started doing more than basic diy this year. Once you have something to rais ethe engine a few inches the job is fairly straightforward. Found it much easier than a clutch for example.

I did invest in an engine crane off ebay in the end after trying to borrow one for several months.
Figured I can always sell it on again when I don't need it anymore

I believe there is an alternative technique which involves dropping the subframe to gain access to the sump instead but I didn't want to do this as it would involve getting alignment etc. sorted after finishing the job. This technique might even need something to hold the engine in place anyway - I didn't investiggate it far. Spoke to someone I know on another fourm who works at a dealership and he told me that their mechanics do the the oil pump change buy just raising the engine rather than dropping the subframe so I figured that would be the way to go for me too.

·
Registered
633 Posts
you might have recourse with the dealer as this is the result of sludge as you can show that the car already had significant sludge problems and they clearly didn't address all of them the first time around. I believe there is a extended sludge warranty as well. I dodn't know the details but I am sure someone will chime in. what mileage do you have on the car now?
good luck

·
Registered
313 Posts
i agree with glucks. if the dealer already sorted the sludge issues on warranty and you still have a bad oil pump, they should fix that too. it's all related to the same sludge issues...

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Dude, fight a bit harder
This is part of the same sludge repair
Sludge warranty is 8yr/unlimited mile

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input. I am in the process of changing out the cam chain tensioner since this is what the dealer was going to do first at a charge of ~$400 in labor plus parts. Was able to get the tensioner out and just need to button things up this weekend and see if this addresses the problem. If not it will be take the gloves off and go back to the dealer with all my records and newly found info from this forum.

Thanks again.
dab

·
Registered
51 Posts
damn I just bought a 99 that needs a head due to sludge the cam bearing are galled, could this be warrantied? it only has 70k on it and the motor looks nasty under the Valve Cover

·
Registered
633 Posts
badcoupe whether they cover it depends on a few things. Did you buy it from a dealer was it a cpo car? do you have maintenance records showing that you regularily replaced the oil with a vw approved oil? I am not sure how the sludge warranty applies to the second owner but I am sure you need to show the oil maintenance records regardless. You may have some recourse but they will try and get out of it if you don't have the documents as this is a very expensive repair.
Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts