Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this information is out there, but I just wanted to see what YOU all think about MY oil pressure. Just installed my gauge today, after blowing my 4th turbo.

Cold idle: 60 PSI
Cold 2k RPM: 70 PSI
Cold 3k RPM: 82 PSI

Hot idle: 19 PSI <<Low?
Hot 2k RPM: 55 PSI
Hot 3k RPM: 56 PSI <What?
Hot 4k RPM: 66 PSI

Didn't redline it because my turbo is blowing oil. So yeah, how are these pressures? Seem pretty inconsistent and/or low-ish to me. 1.8T AWM 2001.5 Thanks!

·
Registered
598 Posts
it seems odd that it didnt really go up from 2k to 3k but if i remember correctly they test is on a hot engine at 2k.

Just from that your oil pressure seems to be okay. although you may want to look into it more if you are on your 4th turbo. Have you been replacing the turbo lines when you replace them?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These numbers vary from time to time, depending on how I drive my car. I actually read 15 PSI when I got off the highway today! Isnt that LOW? The lines were replaced 1.5 years/15k miles ago.

I got the only gauge you can go with, the New South Performance indigo with a dual column pod. I have the NSP boost and NSP oil pressure gauges in it. Looks great.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Isnt the spec at idle about 25psi?(warm idle)

And then 50-60 at 2k rpm(warm)

If memory serves factory spec:

Engine Oil Pressure at Idle.............................2 bar/~28psi
Engine Oil Pressure at 2000 RPM.....................3.0 to 4.5 bar~43-65psi

Oil Temperature should be at 80 degrees C

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I just read in the Bentley about checking the oil pressure switch and this is what it says:

Oil pressure at idle: min. 2 bar (29psi) - doesn't say anything about oil temp...just says "Start engine and let run at idle"

Then it says:

"Increase engine speed further. At 2000 RPM and an oil temperature of 80c (174F)"

Oil pressure must be between 3.0 and 4.5 bar (43-65psi).

Have you tried using any other oil than the Castrol? I was also using the Castrol until recently when I discovered and switched to Rotella T6 5W-40 and have not looked back. It's an extremely good oil, and my oil consumption has gone way way down since putting it in. I haven't even had to add any yet...and the oil is still golden in color...whereas the Castrol would have been completely black by now! And what's even better? Here in Canada it's about $8 cheaper for a 5L jug (1.3 gallons) than the Castrol. The Castrol has sky-rocketed in price here ever since it became the main oil that VW uses.

No, the Rotella doesn't have a VW rating, but I don't care, and you shouldn't either. The ratings are all BS if you ask me, and the only reason why Rotella isn't on the list is because it costs $$$ to get on VW's list of approved oils, and I honestly don't think they care about being on that list as it's already an extremely popular oil. When it goes on sale here the shelves are empty in a day.

If you don't believe me look it up for yourself on many forums, and bobistheoilguy.com. My uncle uses it in his 2.7T, I use it in my 1.8T, and there are many other people out there using it in the exact same engines and many more. There's a bunch of threads that show that Rotella is as good and even better than the Castrol.

Here's a sample after a 10k (that's miles!) OCI in a 2.0T!: Rotella T6 5w40 10k miles, 2009 VW GTI 27k miles - Bob Is The Oil Guy

In a 2.7T Allroad: Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 '02 Audi 2.7t 5500miles - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Can I use Shell Rotella T6 in my VW - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Anyway...just telling more people about Rotella...I've had it in my car now for a while and my engine hasn't exploded. Here'a a sig of a guy I saw on Audizine I found pretty funny and true:

"My oil isn't VAG approved, my coolant isn't G12, and my car hasn't exploded yet"

OK, so I kind of went on a tangent here...but just some good info for other people and maybe something new to try.

Elliott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts