Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I've a 98 1.8T SE and i've a warning light on my dash.
it's the Low Oil Pressure warning, but doesn't come on all the time and when it does, it goes off after a while.
The oil is fairly new (<1000miles) and its right on the 'full' line
Anyone got any ideas.? i'm hoping its the sender is faulty.
Would plugging it into VAG-Com give me any indications.?
and would asking a VW dealers to check it out cost much.?

thanks for the help.!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had the same - Mine would sound at idle sometimes once the engine was hot (e.g. stuck in a jam on the motorway). Fixed mine be replacing the oil pump, but I guess this is just one of a few possible culprits. My engine sounded like a diesel too once warmed up. I bought a lemon but after a lot of work the car is much better than it was.

Mine is a 98 1.8T SE also (AEB)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I believe the oil pressure light only lights up when the pressure drops AND the engine rpm is above 2000..... so if the oil pump stops & your sitting in traffic there will be no warning light ! :crazy:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the responses guys..problem with mine is it comes on when the engine is cold and has justed been started (ie tickover), and seems to sometimes go off as the engine warms up..

I'm going to replace the sensor...and see if that cures it

·
Registered
537 Posts
I believe the oil pressure light only lights up when the pressure drops AND the engine rpm is above 2000
Not so, unless my car was taken over by the devil.

My light and chimes would actually stop above 2000 rpm. They (both the light and the warning chimes) would only come on around idle when the car was hot. New oil pump fixed mine but if someone else's warning came on under different circumstances they might have a different problem I guess

·
Registered
6 Posts
passat 1.8t aeb

greetings all,suspect mine has the same problem that yours had billybob,my oil pressure warning light comes on when stuck in traffic and the engine then begins to make a right clattering noise,spoke to gsf yesterday and they said the have sold 15 oil pumps for the aeb this year,so would think that my cars problem right?

·
Registered
537 Posts
could well be. Mine clattered like a diesel. I think it is because the pump is not pumping enough round. No guarantees but I'd go for the oil pump. Not the worst job in the world but you do need something to lift the engine a few inches to get at the sump which is a real pain. An alternative technique is to lower the subframe to get at the sump but even then I *think* you still need something to take the weight of the engine. Not sure though cos I used the engine lift method.

I also started using vw approved oil bought from GSF (18 quid or so for 5 litres) and VW oil filters as these are much bigger than the ones I was getting at motor factors. These engines have quite small caopacity and oil gets too hot I think so the extra half a litre or so the bigger filters hold is really useful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
just booked car in at garage,too cold for me to being getting my hands dirty and tools out,hes charging me £150.00+vat and its £60 for the new oil pump,good price?

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine had same problem, oilpump pick up screen blocked, engine had to be lifted a few inches to get the sump off cleaned sump & screen, problem sorted, change oil every 3000 miles. 2002 1.8t 65000 miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just to let you guys know...

i was the oil pump was very broken..£380 replaced at a garage
it had started clattering like a diesel...
i'm just hoping i've not done any major internal damage...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts