Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Oil Pressure STOP warning 2001 V6

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  kwarren1079 
#1 ·
2001 Passat GLX V6 95K

I’ve had this car since 2004 and for the first time ever the dreaded Oil Pressure light screamed at me today. I’ve researched this question here but this incident is different than others I’ve read about.

In my case I was driving some curvy roads on the way to the coast at a slightly above average speed (30-40 mph on 20-30 mph curves). I hit a couple of these curves in quick succession and was decelerating when it went off. I slowed down and within 15 seconds the light vanished. The car operated properly throughout.

So, any thoughts if this is something to be concerned about? Oil level is good and vehicle has always had synthetic oil.

#2 ·
usually it's the 1.8s with oil "sadness" however ,obviously you checked the oil (dipstick) .....couple things ,whats the mileage? and oil used? ,Oil pan is easy to drop to take a "looksie" at oil pick up tube , might be partially clogged from years of detritus ......,someone can chime in 'cause I cannot remember if they (2.8s) have a windage tray.

#7 ·
If the car is only a quart low it shouldn't trigger the light.
By any chance do you have the low oil sensor on the very bottom surface of the oil pan? Those sensors are known to fail and give false readings.

Look for this sensor on the bottom of the oil pan. Can't miss it. If there's a sensor, you have low oil sensing option on your car.
If the sensor is not there, you don't have that option.

Reactions: jjpark
#8 ·
I've had the light come on several times on my vehicles during hard turns. I tend to take them at well above normal speeds and when the car is 1L low, it will trigger the low level sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.