Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm going to be installing an Autometer electric oil pressure gauge and would like to know where to tap. Where is the stock one located so i can t it and attach the sender? I'm just guessing how you guys do it on the b5.5, I've done it like that on other types of cars.

Pics would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tyler

·
Registered
503 Posts
I just went through this exercise, but for a VDO gauge and sender. The stock sender is located on the mounting plate for the oil cooler. To access it, remove the 3 screws that hold down the coolant overflow tank and unclip the sensor on the bottom. You can then move the tank out of the way, but don't pull too much b/c the coolant hoses will still be attached. Then, if you're standing at the driver's side fender peering diagonally down toward the bottom of the engine bay, you can see the oil filter, which is screwed into the oil cooler. The stock oil pressure sender is screwed into the oil cooler mounting plate, pointed toward the firewall. (If you do a search for "oil pressure sender" you should be able to find a picture or diagram.)

I explored a number of options for installing my VDO sender. I wanted to use this T adapter, http://www.42draftdesigns.com/product/vc240850.htm, but there wasn't quite enough room to screw in the senders. I ended up using 42DraftDesigns remote kit - http://www.42draftdesigns.com/product/42004.htm. It's a breeze to install, but be sure to ask 42DD for their installation guide. The only problem is that there does not appear to be a good solid mounting location for the remote kit, which is why I had hoped to use the T adapter. I have the remote unit ziptied to a beefy wiring harness. If that poses any problems in the future, I may try the T adapter again knowing that I'd have to shave down a tiny bit of the stock sender's body to make it fit.

By the way, I have an AWM 1.8T engine in a 2002 FWD MT wagon. Good luck.

Patrick.

·
Registered
282 Posts
P_S_Chang1 said:
I have the remote unit ziptied to a beefy wiring harness.
That sounds familiar Patrick ... still haven't had any problems with mine there. 4 months and couting.

Tyler,

Not sure what engine you have, but the instructions Rusty posted are the best reference I've come by. As Patrick said, with the AWM you won't be able to use the "T." Bummer because that would be the cleanest install.

Cheers,
Karl

·
Registered
503 Posts
trojanB5 said:
That sounds familiar Patrick ... still haven't had any problems with mine there. 4 months and couting.
Yes, thanks for that suggestion Karl! I seem to recall you were looking into a threaded hole in the firewall near the wiring harness. I saw the same hole in my car. Did you ever determine the thread pitch and size? I'd love to have a firmer mount for the remote unit.

Patrick

·
Registered
282 Posts
P_S_Chang1 said:
Yes, thanks for that suggestion Karl! I seem to recall you were looking into a threaded hole in the firewall near the wiring harness. I saw the same hole in my car. Did you ever determine the thread pitch and size? I'd love to have a firmer mount for the remote unit.

Patrick

Haven't had the time but will let you know if I do!

Tyler,

I guess we all just assumed you had a 1.8T ... cheers!

Karl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts