Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my uncle gave me his old beater as my first car. It’s a 2001 Passat 1.8t GLS. It has been sitting for about three years. We got it started up and running. I just took it on the road today for a spin and everything seemed great and then out of no where I had a oil pressure light come on. I limped it back home and checked the oil. It was a little low so I ended up adding a whole quart to it until it was where it needed to be. I started it up and it was making a horrible ticking sound so I shut it off ASAP. I got my dad to come look at it and he told me to start it again. It ticked for about two seconds and immediately stopped. We went for a spin to see if it was fixed and we got about 50 yards and the oil pressure light came back on. Then the check engine light came on. Then I had a pop up that said emissions workshop. I’m completely lost on what’s happening. I’m thinking maybe the oil pump is bad. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
There are a ton of write ups in the "search community" archives regarding this problem, but chances are your pickup tube/screen is clogged, basically your engine is being starved of oil (its life blood). Problem needs to be corrected before any more driving. This is a very common failure issue with the 1.8s. This probably manifested itself do to car sitting, oil sludging up,crap breaking free after 3 years. There are plenty of suggested solutions to this problem and its repair. Familiar with this failure, I bite the bullet put in a new pick up tube/screen ,use a "big kahuna" oil filter (Purolator/Mann L40316) and run 5W40 Full synthetic oil. You "might" getaway with an oil change, filter and new oil and be O.K......... or you "might" have this happen in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday night.... What is the mileage ? and engine code ? , ( on the engine block by drivers side front of valve cover) it should be AEB or AWM .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a ton of write ups in the "search community" archives regarding this problem, but chances are your pickup tube/screen is clogged, basically your engine is being starved of oil (its life blood). Problem needs to be corrected before any more driving. This is a very common failure issue with the 1.8s. This probably manifested itself do to car sitting, oil sludging up,crap breaking free after 3 years. There are plenty of suggested solutions to this problem and its repair. Familiar with this failure, I bite the bullet put in a new pick up tube/screen ,use a "big kahuna" oil filter (Purolator/Mann L40316) and run 5W40 Full synthetic oil. You "might" getaway with an oil change, filter and new oil and be O.K......... or you "might" have this happen in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday night.... What is the mileage ? and engine code ? , ( on the engine block by drivers side front of valve cover) it should be AEB or AWM .
It has 297k on it. It’s a lot I know. I checked the codes and it was just the check engine code. I recently changed the oil and filter and took it for a ride and got the same result. I’m thinking it’s the pump because it will pump cold oil fine then as soon as the car warms up it starts ticking and tells me to stop

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
well, if you do the pump, and with that many miles it is a great idea, since regardless you would be "opened up" anyway even if you were just to do the pick up tube and screen. You can verify oil pressure by tapping off the existing oil pressure sending unit port to confirm your suspicions........that's a good and prudent plan,my only question is, did your Uncle park the car for three years because of this problem, possibly random at that time,or is this the first time it manifested itself ?
What ever you decide I can assure you that you are in the correct place for help, as the contributors maybe shy away from being called experts.....they are experts and have assisted me and others with your exact problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He said he only parked because of getting a new car. He wouldn’t have gave it to me if it wasn’t worth me trying to fix. It’s just hard for me to put money into it and not be able figure out what’s wrong with it. Especially with this many miles. I don’t know how long it’s gonna last

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He had to get the screen cleaned one time before but it never ticked the way it does now when the light comes on.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hard to describe a "tick" as one man's "tick" is another man's "tock" , but it could be the CCT not functioning properly do to sludge precipitating out of solution over the past 3 years........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point. The ticking is definitely something in the top end. When it threw a code yesterday it was a code for timing chain over retarder and a code for a misfire on cylinder two. I cleared the codes after changing oil and all was good until the light came back on

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I would pop off the valve cover and investigate the CCT. Check to see what condition the CCT shoes are in, if it even has any left. What happens is, the CCT shoes get brittle, break apart and get ground up in the valve train and then the bits work their way down into the oil pan where it gets sucked up into the oil pickup screen, thus starving the engine of oil.

If the ticking is on the top end, then yes I would suspect a CCT also, along with all of the cam followers (tappets) especially if it's lacking sufficient oil on the top end.
My very first Passat with a V6 had oil starvation to the heads, it sounded like diesel truck!
But no matter how bad the CCT itself gets, it will never be the single cause of an oil pressure warning light. More than likely a two fold issue here.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
CCT is the symptom not the cause, it could be failing,failed........ but more likely and since you have an oil light on, not getting pressure enough to work properly , a retard code indicates that it is not working for one reason or another........as to misfires, could be due to retarded intake cam,oil in the valve cover ignition wells, and or to the fact that the the car has sat and the plugs are old, and or the ignitors have "went South" which is a weak point of the 1.8s, crappy ,always failing ignitors/individual spark coils.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts