Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help me out with my 05 passat's "STOP oil pressure" issue.

So about two weeks ago I was driving on the highway (between 50&65mph) I got the "STOP" warning. I pulled over, had the car towed to a mechanic. The mechanic told me the oil pump would need to be replaced. He quoted me about $750 on the repair, that was too much for me to afford.

So I purchased the parts, and my dad and I made the repair at home. It's worth noting that the oil pan seemed like it had been dropped once before, there was liquid gasket there instead of the **assumed solid gasket that came from the factory. Also there was a bolt missing, so it was apparent that this oil pan had been dropped once before.. Now my dad and I got about halfway through the teardown before we realized that we neglected to check the oil pressure beforehand. Kicking ourselves, but being too far along we proceeded.

Once the oil pan was out of the way, we were very let down. I was hoping to see the screen on the pickup tube clogged like so many posts/videos I'd seen on the subject. It was not, the screen was actually missing. We hoped that maybe it was lodged somewhere in the oil pump itself, which it was not. We replaced the oil pump, and re-installed the existing oil pickup tube without the screen. It's worth noting that both my dad and I didn't seem to believe that the oil pump itself showed signs of wear. But we installed a new one never the less.

We got everything put back together, and I took the vehicle for a test drive this afternoon. The vehicle did fine in the neighborhood, where I didn't exceed 35mph. However once I got the vehicle onto the streets, and above 45mph the "STOP" warning came back on. I got the vehicle back into the neighborhood, let it cool down for a while started it up and attempted to drive the vehicle home. The warning did not come on while the car was idling, but once I put it in drive and got the engine above 2,000rpm the warning came back.

At this point I am un-sure of the best way to proceed. The plan is to get an oil-pressure tester, see where the oil pressure is and go from there. At this point the only thing I can think of that would be causing this issue is the sensor. But I'm not a mechanic, I would love any input or thoughts.

Other things worth noting;

The power steering for the vehicle is no longer working, at all. I'm unsure if this problem is related, or if it's as simple as I forgot to reconnect something during the re-assembly. I'm thinking it's the latter. But would appreciate input.

Also, the car is burning oil when the engine is running. I've checked for leaks, and haven't noticed anything. I'm wondering if this is maybe residual oil burning off the engine someplace. My concern with that though is that the engine ran for about an hour, I would think that the residual oil would have burned off in that time. But I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Check the pressure, it may be fine. The warning light only activates above 2K and it may simply be a bad sensor. If the pressure is low and the sensor is working properly, you may need new bearings.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I would replace the pickup tube. The screen can prevent large pieces of stuff from getting into your engine and it should be in place.

There was no original solid gasket, they came from the factory with the liquid gasket, but the missing screen and missing bolt sure makes it seem like someone has been in there before.

Here's a video on a repair to a car that had low oil pressure even after a new oil pump. It was a lot of work but I don't think the bearings were bad. Hopefully yours won't be so bad. If you're worried about engine damage, you can check the cam caps for damage much easier than the main bearings so I'd check there first.

·
Registered
388 Posts
x2 on the checking the actual pressure, like you said you should have done that before you started, if the screen was clear, chances are thats the culprit. I had that same god awful warning and expected the worst, tested the pressure and it was the sensor. Worst part was getting the pressure tester hose into position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts