Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday my fiancee and I took the Golf up to her folks place for a wash and wax job and an oil change. We just got the car about 700 miles ago (It has 82,000 on it) and I haven't had the time to drop the oil.

So we're halfway there and the oil pressure light comes on, dings and the drops right off. Literally on for maybe 2 seconds. :shock: So I have her pull over open the hood, check the oil. Level is good, it's really dark, but what's on the dipstick doesn't feel sedimenty. I put it back in, we start it up, everything is fine the rest of the way to her folks place. :roll:

So we get there, go inside and visit for about 15 minutes, come back down and I drop the oil. It's very very dark, and feels "gritty" I also learned that there's no easy way to get the oil filter out of this car without getting oil down your arm and/or hand from underneath, but I digress.

So I put a new oil filter in, drop in 4 quarts of Mobil 1 and everything seems ok, no oil light on since. I've come to find out that the light has chriped 3 other times during the previous week after the car warms up for about the same amount of time... :mad:

So, with the oil level being good, I'm stuck with a couple possibilities in my mind. Either there's a ton of sediment in the engine (not good) the oil pump is on it's way out (not good, but easily replaceable) I get no CEL, and VAG-COM doesn't show me any codes, so the rest of the car is running fine. Her gas milage hasn't been stellar (about 22MPG)

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
can i know what engine and year??
i have a 1994 GTI with the x-flow 2.0 and i had to replace my oil pump after the same thing happened to me, don't wait and lose an engine, its a hour and a half job,very simple to do. :nervous: if you have any questions PM me :poke:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
If its a '95 or older, you need to run 15w 40 in it.

The oil pressure monitoring system is very stupid in the older cars.

·
Registered
941 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
Sharky said:

:???: :???: Elaborate oh, all-knowing... :D
Wha-s-a-matta fo-you round eye… :weirdo: :weirdo: :weirdo:

This is a perfectly acceptable diagnosis (this is a VOLKSWAGEN technician… :nervous: ) of VW’S “older” oiling systems.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 1995 Golf 2.0 w/ an OBD1 engine.

I cross-posted this over on Vortex, and got some surprisingly great responses. One of the ideas was to drop the oil pan and replace the oil pump just as a precaution, which I might do over the next weekend or so.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1313770

2.0 GTI, I looked at it in the Haynes manual I have, doesn't look complicated, any hints/tips?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Elias said:
VWGUY4EVER said:
Sharky said:

:???: :???: Elaborate oh, all-knowing... :D
Wha-s-a-matta fo-you round eye… :weirdo: :weirdo: :weirdo:

This is a perfectly acceptable diagnosis (this is a VOLKSWAGEN technician… :nervous: ) of VW’S “older” oiling systems.
Listen up, dillhole-I was very specific on what constitutes "older." See how I said '95 or older? Pretty damn specific, right?

The older (pre '96, see how that works when stated another equally specific way) cars don't ignore low oil pressure like the newer '96-up cars do.

New VW's won't warn you of even ZERO oil pressure until after you're a little over 2000 rpm. So, you could drain the oil, take the filter off, and start the car. Letting it idle only, the engine will lock up and you will NEVER get an oil light. This is what VW calls dynamic oil pressure monitoring. Dynamically stupid, I say.

This is the opposite of the "older" cars. If you crack the owner's manual on that '95 (crazy, I know) you'll see it does NOT recommend stuff like 5w-30. I think the production date split is 7 or 8/95.

All this assumes a fully operational oiling system, which obviously we have no idea whether he has.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts