Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When trying a W8, before I bought mine, I was startled to see there is no oil pressure gauge. Still, after 20K, I'm nervous being in a car for the first time without one. With a +$17K engine, why would we not have one?

Were I to purchase an electric gauge, with sender adapter, where on the W8 engine would one insert the sender? Traditionally, senders were mounted under the distributor. That does not apply in this case.

How do others feel about driving "without a pulse"?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
You do not need an oil pressure gauge.

VW uses a very sophisticated oil pressure monitoring system which is nearly fool proof.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Marco M. Pardi said:
Interesting. But, what does it do? How do I know if I have a pressure failure?
Your oil light will come on, and the words STOP! will appear in your maff display. You will also hear your busser going off to aleart you. The thing is about iol pressure.... Either you have it, or you don't. The gauge is nice to have, but enless your always monitoring it, your light will sufice just as well as an oil pressure gauge. Long story short...I put one in my Toyota Celica when i had it. While criuxing on the freeway, i noticed a burning smell. Looked at my oil presure gauge, and it read 70psi. Normal. So i thought i was a truck near me or somthing. Then i herad a loud beeping. Looked at my gauge cluster, and saw the oil light flashing, i then looked at my oil gauge, and it to read about 20psi. Though the gauge worked like it was supposed to, the light, and buzer were what got my attention first. is it bad to have. No An oil pressure gauge is a great gauge. Is it worth going though all the trouble to install one??.................

1 - 5 of 5 Posts