Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

I replaced the oil pan in the 2002 Passat V6 2.8. On and off with no problems, drove it around, sounds and feels good. Crack a beer and smoke a cigar to celebrate. I am bad a-mo of, I think to myself.

Couple of days later I notice a bit of oil under the car, Hmmmm. Looks to be coming from the oil cooler, oh well, no big deal, get a new gasket. So I drain the oil, AGAIN, pull off the oil cooler gasket, put a new one in and refill. Beer and cigar, I'm still a bad [email protected]%#.

Still leaking...

Okay, maybe the gasket on the oil pan got pinched, drain the oil, AGAIN. Pull off the pan and pull off the gasket. Nothing.

Wait. Why would oil be dripping in the corner here by the oil cooler. Oh wait there is a hair line crack on the aluminum piece that the oil pan bolts to. NO beer, no cigar, I am an [email protected]%#.

My question...What is that part that the oil pan bolts to called, and can it be replaced or repaired.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Awesome thanks so much!

How difficult to change out?

TIA

paul

You got me, but it doesn't look like a easy project. I'm not usually one to try "quick fixes" but in this case I might.
What do you have to lose?

Drain the oil.
Degrease the hairline crack and the surrounding area very well.
Scuff the area with a file or course sandpaper.
Degrease again.
Apply some JB Weld to the crack and surrounding area.
Let cure completely before refilling with oil.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
You don't need a new thread for this issue.
Do as suggested by 2002GLXV6.
For extra strength you could stick a piece of steel flywire across the crack.
or bolt a strip of metal across the bottom of the crack (fit before JB Weld sets)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the JB Weld as indicated by GLXV6 and all is right with the world once again. It has been holding fine for the past three weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts