Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips for oil pan removal / replacement on a 99 Passat 1.8T automatic? From the underside I can see that I have access to all the mounting bolts around the pan except at the very rear, where the frame member obstructs access somewhat. The Haynes manual I have makes the whole process seem rather complicated, but when visually inspecting I just don't see it.

Questions:

-is it really necessary to lift the motor off the mounts?

-is there a gasket or is it just RTV sealant between pan and block?

-is it really necessary to put the radiator panel in service position and remove front bumper?

Any helpful advice is appreciated,

Thanks, Bob

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
1. Yes.

2. Gasket.

3. It is if you expect to somehow do this without the use of a floor jack to hold the engine up and not rip the radiator core support to bits while the weight of the engine is off the two front side mounts.

To do this job properly/safely/sometime this year requires that the subframe be dropped or removed, and the engine to be supported from above.

Say it with me: German Engineering.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil pan removal

Thanks for the eye-opener Sharky. It sounds like you've had to tackle this job before.
How far does the motor have to rise off the mounts before one can access the rear pan bolts obstructed by the sub-frame member??
So, what about using a floor jack to raise the motor just slightly if I can secure it from side-side motion while off the mounts, as well as avoiding the radiator core support ( while standing on one leg and crossing my fingers )??

Seriously, am I barking up the wrong tree here? How far does that damned pan go up under the support?

Bob

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Re: oil pan removal

rmcintire said:
Thanks for the eye-opener Sharky. It sounds like you've had to tackle this job before.
How far does the motor have to rise off the mounts before one can access the rear pan bolts obstructed by the sub-frame member??
So, what about using a floor jack to raise the motor just slightly if I can secure it from side-side motion while off the mounts, as well as avoiding the radiator core support ( while standing on one leg and crossing my fingers )??

Seriously, am I barking up the wrong tree here? How far does that damned pan go up under the support?

Bob
I think you're asking for trouble if you try this yourself without the right stuff.

Its not that the engine has to move up or down that much, its that you have to wiggle the pan out of its location and also account for the oil pump pickup tube which pokes down to a point which is just barely above the bottom of the pan.

You drop the subframe because basically, even if you could pull all the bolts out with no problem, the pan must move mostly straight downward for the better part of the length of that tube. THEN forward to clear the subframe at the back.

If you take the snub mount loose at the front, you could probably jack the engine up a little before clearance at the bellhousing and such becomes a problem. I doubt very seriously if there will be enough room at the pan to get it out, though.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Is the deep part of the pan toward the front of the car?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Yes but the back of the pan is so completely shallow that it causes problems. And the crossmember of the subframe is so far forward and right behind the deep part of the pan you have that to deal with too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Sharky
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing