Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to drop the oil pan. I don't have any oil leaks or known sludging :)bow: that I know about), but I want to make sure for preventive reasons. Is all that's needed is a oil pan gasket?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Completely sorry. I typed that at 2 in the morn., and for some reason I thought I provided my car info.. :p
Also, I believe I may need a gasket for the turbo line that runs into the pan. Yes? No? Thank

Sam

·
Registered
29,150 Posts
It would be easier to drain the oil,stick in a screwdriver and scrape the bottom of the pan. If there is sludge,it would show up on the screwdriver. You could also pull the valve cover. Either way is much easier than pulling the oil pan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've a '99 1.8t AEB as well. The valves clatter a lot when you first start it then it smooths out. Sometimes has a slight tick, but not always. Anyway, about a month ago I got the first low oil pressure light. Now I get it intermittently almost everytime I drive it, although it only comes on for a few seconds. I thought sludge, but I pulled the valve cover and it looked pretty clean. I'm about halfway through the first round of Auto-RX treatment now and haven't seen much improvement. The oil looked clean when I drained it not long before the RX treatment. Does anyone have a clue what else it could be? I've got the parts for an oil pump change and the equipment to do it with, but would rather not if I didn't have to.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,588 Posts
CL-46 Phoenix said:
... I thought sludge, but I pulled the valve cover and it looked pretty clean. I'm about halfway through the first round of Auto-RX treatment now and haven't seen much improvement. The oil looked clean when I drained it not long before the RX treatment. Does anyone have a clue what else it could be? I've got the parts for an oil pump change and the equipment to do it with, but would rather not if I didn't have to.
First, a clean-looking top end does not guarantee an absence of "turbo turds" in your oil pump's inlet screen.

Second, if it were my car, I would either install an oil pressure gauge or hook up a temporary oil pressure test gauge, which will provide alot more information than the idiot light.

Third, if Auto-RX does not solve your problem (it's a decent enough product, but it might simply be too late in your case), consider getting a professional oil system flush at a dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've suspected the dreaded sludging problem for the get-go, I was just making the comment about the top end being clean for... well I'm not really sure. So you think I should go ahaead and change out the pump anyway, or hook up the oil pressure guage first? Or maybe go ahead and change the pump and still install an oil pressure guage? I have access to a shop with a hydraulic lift, air tools, engine hoist, and the like.

·
Registered
29,150 Posts
If the Auto-RX does not do the trick and if you have the tools and know how,I would change the pump and clean the turbo-turds out of the pan and oil pick-up.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
CL-46 Phoenix said:
I've suspected the dreaded sludging problem for the get-go, I was just making the comment about the top end being clean for... well I'm not really sure. So you think I should go ahaead and change out the pump anyway, or hook up the oil pressure guage first? Or maybe go ahead and change the pump and still install an oil pressure guage? I have access to a shop with a hydraulic lift, air tools, engine hoist, and the like.
I have had the same issue and changed the pump. Changing the pump is the ONLY solution once the light comes on. Hook up the oil pressure gauge and see just how bad it is but in the end your pump is gone. How, many miles on your car, I had 225k when mine went and I was lucky I got my money out of the car before it went bad. If you have all the oil changes you have done VW will pay for the pump replacment but good luck with that (you have a better chance of winning the lottery.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.