Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil light and warning signal goes off after driving a bit. Car is new to me (98 53K) It went off once before and then just as quickly stopped. This evening it went on and stayed on. I let the car sit for an hour or so, checked the oil (dealership had just changed oil per request) and the amount was fine, perhaps a bit over the line. I'm a little worried as the car is new to me, but used. It's still under warranty. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Do a search on sludging. :sad: Seems as though the early B5's didn't have turbo oil line heat shields and the turbo would cook the oil causing sludging in the engine. You probably will have to replace the turbo oil line, oil pump / screen and clean out the oil pan.

Whatever the cause do get it fixed soon before you trash the whole engine. Others may chime in with more detailed info.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yehhhhhp, someone ran dino oil in the car before you had it and the turbo coked the oil. Now the coke has sludged up the pan and the oil intake screen on the oil pump. Check out the above link given by Ooinn99. That's my thread. Post there or here if you'd like more interaction on your problem. The main issue is to treat this ASAP so you don't zap the turbo bearings and loose the turbo like I did.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Whatever you do, do NOT drive it another inch. Most warranties exclude damage caused by driving a vehicle that was screaming at you to stop. So, if your engine overheats, and you drive it 1/2 hr to the shop and show up w/ a cracked engine block, you are SOL. If you drive it around for a while with the engine complaining about oil pressure, they aren't going to cover cooked bearings.

SirWired

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.