Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Oil level light

Tags
oil passaatb5
3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  PZ 
#1 ·
Hey, im here to ask about oil level warning light
It comes up randomly and as soon as I open the hood(pul the lach from cabin) it goes away
What could be the reason ? ( Oil level is always on point) Passat B5 1.8t 2004

#2 ·
I would look for a loose ground under the dash. You need to remove the lower dash panel and the kick panel on the side. Above that mess of wiring there are 2 bolts going to the body with multiple brown wires attached. Also look for any cracked wiring insulation or loose wires. Here is a pic of that area, but just below the 2 bolts. You can see the hood handle hanging there too:

Reactions: Eligijus
#4 ·
if it is like the logic often used by VW ,(seriously)could be some kind of "secret"/"trick" method that is used to see if it is truly low or a failure without scanning, next time it appears take an 8mm rod/bolt and with a pair of visegrips squeezing the begeezus out of it, relatch the hood mechanism and see if the light comes on (just do not forget to release with lever after this experiment).... I mean throttle adaptation by opening hood ,door,then turning key on waiting a couple of minutes.....just saying

#8 ·
Have someone sit on the hood and pull the release to see if it still goes out without the hood moving. My son's car had an oil pressure warning coming on at idle/low rpm due to a bad battery cell (even though the car started and ran fine).
I was just under the dash on my car yesterday. There are at least 8 ground wires (all the brown ones) to the 2 grounding bolts under the hood release. There are at least that many positive connections on the relay panel right next to them (all red).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.