Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok if you read my previous thread you'd know I signed to buy my 98 Passat if it passed the RAA mechanic inspection, which it did. It got a full inspection and the only issue was that there was some oil in the engine and on the gear box. By law, VW has to fix this problem.

So they put it in the shop today (Im taking delivery this Friday), and cleaned the oil, but they told me there was no leak found.

So my question is two fold;
1) If there is no leak, where did the oil come from? and;
2) If there is a leak and they are lieing to me, whats the worst case senario and the most likely one?

Keep in mind it passed all other check with a green light on each, and only got a yellow on these two saying they should be taken care of but its not a huge problem, and over all they gave it a green light to buy.

Im just a little worried they are trying to be cheap and not fix the problem. Ive already made them replace the tensioner and timing belt and the tie rods.

Regardless once I pick it up im taking it for a long drive and then to the mechanic after a few days to get it checked once again to make sure they've fixed everything like they said they would and there are no other errors.

Anyway once again, thanks to all in advance :D.

EDIT: Its a 1998, Non Turbo manual with 65,000kilometers on the clock.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Sorry didnt find your thread previous to this. Specs on the car? Engine? Miles?

I have a 98 AEB 1.8T. Right now I am looking at a repair bill of 1900 to replace turbo, and a leaky cam seal and a check valve. This includes parts and labor. My car started with a small oil leak.. common on the engines, especially around the valve cover. That is a quick fix... about 30 bucks and one hour of your time you can have it replaced. After I did this the oil burnining oil came back... even stronger. Leading me to the AEB engine and a hole in my wallet thread...

Be careful with the 98. Give verrrrrry special attention to the engine; noting the turbo and just where that oil is coming from.

- Stephen.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It is most likely a leaky cam seal or valve cover gasket. This is a very common problem. The valve cover gaskets are easy enough to fix, but the cam seals are a bit tougher. They are probably not telling the whole truth when they say they could not find a leak. I had two dealers tell me the same thing. The third one finally fixed it. I'd demand they do a dye test to track down the location of the leak.

The worst-case scenerio would be a oil burning smell developing as oil leaks onto the exhaust manifold - not too pleasant. Mine never leaked enough to create any other problems - the belly pan kept the oil from getting to the ground and enough never leaked out in-between oil changes to become a problem.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Agree with above now that I got word of it being a V6. Cam gaskets are best left for them to fix.. but the valve cover gasket is a do it yourself.. so talk them down in price becuase of the oil leak and " I dunno Im worried about spending this money on a car that will need so much in repairs" story. then spend 20 bucks on the gasket and DIY. You save Pitty story discount - $20

And the oil smell in the cabin.. it is not pleasant at all. My interior now smells like it. I look forward to a steam clean and summer time fresh air to take care of that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks guys. Ill tell them to run a Dye test on it, if they dont want to Ill take it to an independent mechanic and get them to do it, then tell VW to pay for it and replace the parts.

Mwahaha....

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ya milk that warranty for sure. Go figure 1,000 miles after my third party warranty I come across a need for 1900 in repairs! Just seems to happen like that. So get it while its free/cheap! Go over your car with a fine tooth comb...very :suspicio: ...

:suspicio: not :crazy: mmmk?

And tell them to use orange dye.. cuase Clemson colors include orange. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with the dye test. My V6 is for an oil leak right now... The dye test showed that the leak was actually from the cylinder head, rather than the valve cover. I'm now waiting on new heads to come in...and waiting, and waiting :roll:
Another user suggested two other things that are a good idea... Have them check the cam seals, and if they're doing heads, have them throw on a new timing belt. Better safe than sorry....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
Rukas
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing