Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 V6 with 82K miles and it had oil leaking from the drivers side valve cover gasket. I told the dealer (Concours, Milwaukee WI) that I would do the work myself if it was not covered under warranty. They looked at it and found both valve covers, passenger side cam seal and cam shaft adjuster seal leaking oil. Concours VW is probably the best
VW dealer in the Milwaukee area. Does anyone know how much this would have cost me if it was not covered under warranty?

Tom

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
That is good to know. I was working on my serpentine belt today and found my oil pan was a mess. I have to clean it and try and track down the culprit. Oil was not low on the dipstick and is actually due to be changed. At most it is 1/4 to 1/2 quart low over 5000 miles. Not to bad IMHO, but still I don't like to see the mess on the belly pan or the oil pan.

I would imagine replacing all those seals would have set you back 300-500 dollars, just because the labor would start to add up at 75/hr. Each of those seals, individually, is probably billed at 1-2 hours work.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My local VW service department replaced the front camshaft seal under warranty too! I wish I had known that before I replaced the valve cover gasket myself, thinking it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes! I bought my car from Ernie, took it in 4 times for noise on AM with the lights on. They could not fix it, I fixed it myself and contacted VW customer service. They contacted Ernie and they stated that they had no record that my car was ever at their dealership. I bought my car from them!!! I do not trust Ernie Von.

Tom

·
Registered
186 Posts
ms12339 said:
Does anyone know how much this would have cost me if it was not covered under warranty?

Tom
I've seen several post where people were quoted in the $600 - $900 range. Replacing the cam tensioner seals is a big job. I think "The Book" puts it at almost 8 hours labor. You did well to have this work done under warranty.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great! I am trying to get as much work done under warranty. That will more than offset the money I spent on all new upgraded Meyle control arms. Well, I am still not happy that I had to spend the money for the control arms.

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
ms12339 said:
I have a 99 V6 with 82K miles and it had oil leaking from the drivers side valve cover gasket. I told the dealer (Concours, Milwaukee WI) that I would do the work myself if it was not covered under warranty. They looked at it and found both valve covers, passenger side cam seal and cam shaft adjuster seal leaking oil. Concours VW is probably the best
VW dealer in the Milwaukee area. Does anyone know how much this would have cost me if it was not covered under warranty?

Tom
Tom,

how did you first notice that there was a leak? did you smell any burning oil from inside the car? the reason I asked is because I smelled something burning from my air conditioning starting yesterday, after driving for about an hour.

When i looked under the hood, there was a white smoke coming out of the engine compartment. I also noticed some leaks on the engine. When I checked the oil dipstick, it looked ok, above the minimum and below the max.

I also didn't notice any leak on the ground... this is a 2001passat wagon GLS, V6. I am going to take it to the dealer this week, I am praying that whatever is the problem will be covered under the powertrain warranty. :nervous:

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have the same burning oil smell inside the car. It just started happening this week. I know the camshaft seals are notorious for giving up pretty early. I hope I can get it fixed under warranty. The local dealer (Santa Cruz VW) would probably give my car back in worse condition than it is now. I have to fugure out where to take it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
newm5,
When changing my oil, I noticed oil on my oil pan & oil on the plastic cover that needs to be removed when doing an oil change. A couple times I smelled burning oil after opening my hood. I took my car in 2 times before they got all the leaks fixed. Most of the leaks on these cars are small and because we have the pan, we don't see any evidence of a leak on the ground.

Good Luck!

Tom

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I can top that. At about 97k miles I took my 99 V6 in to Archer VW in Houston for the same sort of leaks. I knew it had both valve covers leaking, but they also found leaking cam seals, half-moon seals, and "every seal in the top of the engine" needed replacing. They did all this and it still leaked. So I came right back with it and they found that one head had the rear oil galley plug, which is really just a pressed in ball bearing (?!), leaking. In VW procedures, this required an entirely new head. The swapped in a whole new head assembly, whereas if I were doing it myself I'd have removed the head, had it drilled and tapped, and put in a plug. The new castings don't have the ball bearing plug anymore. Anyway, my only non-success with this whole deal was not convincing them to "find" a leak in the other head (two new head assemblies for free - that would be cool). But anyway, the tab for all this probably ran close to $4k when it's all added up. I can't add that high so I haven't really checked.

I have zero complaints about Archer and they gave me a loaner Jetta during the down time. I'd take the car back there again, except that it may never see a shop again now that it's at 101k miles and out of warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Msquared said:
I can top that. At about 97k miles I took my 99 V6 in to Archer VW in Houston for the same sort of leaks. I knew it had both valve covers leaking, but they also found leaking cam seals, half-moon seals, and "every seal in the top of the engine" needed replacing. They did all this and it still leaked. So I came right back with it and they found that one head had the rear oil galley plug, which is really just a pressed in ball bearing (?!), leaking. In VW procedures, this required an entirely new head. The swapped in a whole new head assembly, whereas if I were doing it myself I'd have removed the head, had it drilled and tapped, and put in a plug. The new castings don't have the ball bearing plug anymore. Anyway, my only non-success with this whole deal was not convincing them to "find" a leak in the other head (two new head assemblies for free - that would be cool). But anyway, the tab for all this probably ran close to $4k when it's all added up. I can't add that high so I haven't really checked.

I have zero complaints about Archer and they gave me a loaner Jetta during the down time. I'd take the car back there again, except that it may never see a shop again now that it's at 101k miles and out of warranty.
wow, great story. did you pay any money from your pocket, or VW took care of everything?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
newm5 said:
did you pay any money from your pocket, or VW took care of everything?
I didn't pay a dime for anything, and they even gave the Jetta with a full tank and didn't ask me to fill it again before bringing it back (essentially that equated to a free tank of gas). That was on the dealership's dime. Really, once the service department identifies oil leaks on an engine still covered by the powertrain warrantee, there is any wiggle room for VW to weasle out of covering all of it. The challenge is to make sure the tech identifies all the leaks. I am lucky that this one caught that oil galley plug leak. If I had to fix this myself after the warrantee, it would cost me a ton of time. I'm just lighting candles and praying about the other side. OTOH, I suppose if it ever does develop a small leak it probably just won't get fixed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My Passat V6 is in for the cam cover seals and a chipped cam guide (?) under the powertrain warranty, and the serp belt on my dime... Just over 67k miles. The oily smell was initially only on warmup but more recently seemed to be increasingly persistent and smokey, stinking up the garage after a long drive.

If you're out of warranty, I got quotes of around $300-350 from both an indie shop and the dealership for just the cover seals...

VW Service (Stockton) hooked me up with a 2004 Passat 1.8t Tiptronic for a few days, so I've been having fun exploring the very different character of this setup... Must say I'm looking forward to having my V6 and 5spd back. :poke:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If had a V6 with manual tranny, I'd be looking forward to having that back, too! I test drove two of those extensively, and they were sweet. Since they aren't hobbled by the V6/Tip's super-tall final-drive ratio (they are 3.73 just like the 1.8T, whereas the V6/Tip is 3.09) they are significantly faster.
Darn no-stick-drivin' wife...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hadn't thought about the FD ratio... That would explain the (relative)slumberous performance. That, and the turbo and tip always seem out of sync... off-boost, in-between gears, egats. In 'tip' mode with properly-timed throttle blips I manage to power through the 'gap' in takeup. Rowing the center stalk feels wrong though, since it's not really attached to anything; a tip with wheel paddles would be pretty fun (can't wait to try DSG!).

The 5spd/v6 combo gets a few more MPG on the freeway than the 1.8t/tip, too... still amazes me to pull 30+mpg at 80mph with nearly 200hp on tap. (YMMV)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
loudboxer, I wasn't clear. The only car with the tall 3.09 ratio is the V6 Tip. The 1.8T with Tip still has the 3.73 ratio, so all you're feeling is the difference in real power along with the drag of a the automatic tranny. I'm just saying your car is the best of the bunch, with a strong engine (I think stronger than the rating indicates) and a low gear ratio. My V6 Tip with the 3.09 ratio is surprisingly decent in acceleration, and gets quite good mileage for what it is: 30mp at 70mph. But I still wish it were the manual version!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Gotcha... I recall our initial test-drives were a v6 and 1.8t, both tips, back to back. We just sort of jumped from one into the other with a couple passengers and picked the one we liked. Wife and I both drive sticks, so we just focused on the 'feel'... 1.8t felt a bit lighter, tossable... but the v6's effortless power (torque!)and smoothness was the kicker. I wouldn't complain about 30mpg at freeway speeds with a v6 and tip, for sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.