Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped off my car beginning of this week to have some smoking/oil leak checked. Bought the car a two weeks ago, and it started leaking oil right away.

Dealership called me today, saying that the oil is leaking from the cylinders and/or cylinder heads, and that they will need to be removed and sent out to a machine shop to be plugged and bored out... They also told me the car will take at least another week to be finished.

Everything is covered under warrenty, and I better not be seeing a bill, as I had a full 30 day Warranty for purchase, and a 18k mile extended bumper to bumper warranty on top of it.

Anybody out there have similar problems? It's a 2000 GLX V6 4Motion with 44,000 miles on it...

Help!

·
Registered
902 Posts
They did the exact same thing with my car. It did not work, and was a waste of time because of the down time. They ended replacing the heads to fix the problem. Dealer said that it was a defect in the heads and were mostly a problem with 2000 model B5s.

If you smell any of the odor from before, bring it back. Don't let them pull the residual oil BS on you. If the do it right, they steam clean the engine, so I don't buy the residual oil crap. It only gets worse, if the oil leak is still there. Being persistent is key, or else you'll be waiting around forever,as they go through gasket/seal after gasket/seal until they're pushed to replace the heads.

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
When you guys say "Heads" do mean 'Valve covers ' ?
I can't imagain the cost involved in removing and replacind the heads. That must run into thousands.

Mine and most other V6 owners have had or are going to get oil leaks from around the valve cover seals.

I replaced mine a few weeks back, the old ones were so brittle that they just snapped into pieces, there is no way they could have sealed anything.
All's fine now though. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I should be keeping an eye out for the same odor/leaking once they re-do the heads... joy!

Anything else I should be wary of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Soundezgn said:
So I should be keeping an eye out for the same odor/leaking once they re-do the heads... joy!

Anything else I should be wary of?

Thanks!
Yea, there were about three other cars that needed this done while my car was there. Either the welding jobs were piss poor, or that way of fixing the problem does not work. All there cars had their heads replaced.

I can't remember if the cost of the heads were $1500 a head or $3000 a head. I'm a second owner and was right under the 50,000 mile warranty, so I was really lucky.

While they're doing all that work, hand them a timing belt so you won't have to worry about it for a very long time. They shouldn't charge you for installing the belt.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
In my V6 I've had 3 valve cover gaskets and 1 cam position sensor gaskets over the past year and a half since I owned it. So much residual oil that it's ridiculously impossible to clean up. :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
HKPassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing