Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I hope I find everyone well. When I was changing my left hand tyre this morning I noticed some oil leak as indicated on the attached picture. It seems this leak has been going on for some time. All along I used to get a burning oil smells when I ever I was driving and a few drops on the garage floor. I put my hand at the back of the valve cover and I suspect that's where the oil leak is coming from. I have take a picture also as attached. If its leaking from this place(forgive me I don't have clue what's its called)is it something that I will be able to repair myself? 0r probably this leak could be coming from somewhere at the back of the engine?

This is the place where I am suspecting oil to be leaking from.
I
Automotive tire Tire Rim Alloy wheel Bicycle part
Automotive tire Hood Wood Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Grille Vehicle

·
Registered
470 Posts
That black disc is called a camshaft sealing plug. I just changed mine due to a similar leak. Mine had visible oil smoke rising up off the exhaust manifold. You have much more oil leaking than I did, sdo it might be coming from somewhere else. To check if your leak is coming from that plug, there will be a drop of oil at the lower edge that you will be able to get to with a finger. If you can get your Passat up off the ground, you will be able to look up at the exhaust and see if oil is , indeed, leaking onto it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Buddy
I have managed to put my finger at the edge of that plug and it came out wet. I have also looked at the exhaust manifold it seems they oil leaking onto it which explains the foul smell.
My car is a right hand drive so does it have these seal plug on both sides? and on a scale of 1-5 how would you rate the difficult in changing these plugs?
Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi Buddy
I have managed to put my finger at the edge of that plug and it came out wet. I have also looked at the exhaust manifold it seems they oil leaking onto it which explains the foul smell.
My car is a right hand drive so does it have these seal plug on both sides? and on a scale of 1-5 how would you rate the difficult in changing these plugs?
Thank you kindly.
Yes, the V6 has these plugs on both banks. They are easy to change, especially your left-hand side. However, with the amount of oil leaking, I suspect the valve cover might also be leaking.

Anyway, to change them you need a long flat-blade screwdriver, hammer, and I use some double-sided sticky tape to keep it stuck to my index finger while I guide it into place. My old one had some black RTV on it, so I put some on the new one.

There are some Youtube videos showing the entire process, but it is rather straight-forward.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the V6 has these plugs on both banks. They are easy to change, especially your left-hand side. However, with the amount of oil leaking, I suspect the valve cover might also be leaking.

Anyway, to change them you need a long flat-blade screwdriver, hammer, and I use some double-sided sticky tape to keep it stuck to my index finger while I guide it into place. My old one had some black RTV on it, so I put some on the new one.

There are some Youtube videos showing the entire process, but it is rather straight-forward.
Thank you so much. I will give it go this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts