Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I removed the Pipe that goes from the TB( Throttle Body ) to the Intercooler and there was a good amount of Oil in the Lip of the Intercooler :shock: I dont think thats suppose to happen , I may be wrong but what should I do :???:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Some oil is normal... if you needed more than one shop towel to clean it up than you may want to check your oil level (and siphon off some oil if needed). The crankcase breather empties into the intake system, just before the turbo, and there is inevitably some oil "mist" in that air. Think of the intake as a "garbage disposal" for everything the EPA doesn't want your car to put directly into the air.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Ya, if you suspect that there's more oil in the intercooler itself, just rinse it out with some gasoline.

Just swish it back and forth, you'll see the gas come out somewhat darker than it went in.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whew I got scarred there. I know I overfilled the oil so thats where it went . Got scared for a second there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same problem here, I think the previous owners of the car never even bothered to check the intake and there fore there was quite a bit.
But here a though for all you vdub gurus. Since the turbo is oil cooled and connects to the intake, Duh. :weirdo: Is there a possibility for the seals in the turbo to go bad and therefore dump oil into the intake???? If so how could you tell the difference? What is normal and what isn't? :???: Also any hints as to how to get the intercooler of the mounting point? No Haynes manul and I'm clueless :bow: . Thanx guys.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I understand from turbo tech info that the oil seal in our turbos will not prevent oil from blowing into the compressor side and out of the turbo if the oil level is to high, or if something else prevents the oil from returning to the sump.

I've found that if I fill to the top of the hash marks on the dip stick there is little or no oil in the intake hose or in the throttle body. If you fill past the hash marks then oil starts appearing much more.

Anyone else had this experience?

Anyone alse notice this.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Many have posted that it's better to underfill the 1.8T than to overfill it. Problems mentioned with overfilling include excess oil in the intake hoses, catalytic converter damage, damage to some portion of the valvetrain (cams, IIRC), fouled spark plugs, etc.

Personally, I use a vacuum pump to extract the 0.2L-or-so that the dealer overfills after service to bring the oil level back to the top of the hash. Takes 5 minutes for the extra peace of mind.

I'm not sure about the turbo seals. But, I'd like to know...

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
My bet on where the oil is coming from is oil fumes from the crankcase breather. Since the intercooler is cooling the air charge, it would make sense that the oil vapor will condense inside it, just like water condensing on the outside of a cool glass.

SirWired

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
sirwired
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing