Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is normal or if the Turbo has a small leak, but when I changed mounts last week I had to disconnect the intake line that runs from the rigid section (aft R/H behind the radiator) to the turbo so I could get the R/H engine mount out. When I did this I had a fairly large puddle of oil that dripped out of the line. I checked the diverter valve since that was right in the area where I disconnected the line and it opened normally when I applied vaccuum to it. Other than that I'm not sure if some turbo blow by is normal or not.

I would appreciate partaking any knowledge from someone who posses it regarding this matter!

Thanks,
Pedro62

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Normal to have oil in there. If you are burning oil, then the turbo seals may be shot.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
There's no way to avoid oil in the intake. First, it's effectively impossible to seal the turbo's oil jacket perfectly, and second, the 1.8t has a secondary crankcase ventilator that sucks oil fumes from the engine into the intake instead of into the manifold. (this is because the manifold doesn't always have a vacuum in it, but the intake does.)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
This is how they keep the DV properly lubricated. j/k
PCV drips/mists this into the intake.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
get a oil catch can..worked for me. no oil ever got dumped into the turbo inlet tube, turbo. nor intercooler charge pipe/intercooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts