Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 1.8t. I've read here about using a larger oil filter, Napa 1333? Which ones good for my 99? Should I add more oil than the required 3.75 quarts when using a larger filter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Apparently in October 2004 VW issued a recommendation to switch to a larger oil filter for all 1.8T's. This increases the oil amount from 3.7qts to 4.3qts. Mann is one of the more recommended of the oil filters available.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mann Up!

You can also get the "Mannolator", Purolator L40316 at Pep Boys. With that filter, capacity goes up to 4.25 qts...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Filter Part# from Dealer

I was looking for the correct filter to use and the local dealer sold me part# 06A-115-561-B. It doesn't look any bigger than the standard filter that I have on there now. Did they sell me the right filter per the TSB about the Synth Oil and Filter?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
oregonsixteen said:
while i'm a rockauto customer, i don't buy frequent enough to utilize their discount code. maybe we should start a thread to share discount codes...

:p :lol: :whistle:
found this off of SD

5% off order at www.rockauto.com.

To show our appreciation, we would like to give you and your friends a
special discount on auto parts.

Here's how it works:

- You give the following discount code to friends, neighbors,
relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or
trucks:

- When someone (including yourself) places an order at www.rockauto.com
and enters your discount code, he or she will receive an immediate 5%
discount on that order.
* If you are using our Java Catalog, enter your discount code in the
"How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart
* If you are using our non-Java Catalog, enter your the discount code
in the "Discount Code" field of the Shopping Cart and click "Calculate
Discount"
- The discount code expires on April 18, 2006; so don't wait!

You may use this discount code as often as you wish until it expires,
but only one discount code can be used per order.

**Each month we see people who put the word "discount" in front of
their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount
code.**

Please call or email if you have questions or suggestions. Thanks
again for buying your auto parts at RockAuto!

Tom Taylor
VP Marketing
www.rockauto.com
[email protected]
1-866-ROCKAUTO (1-866-762-5288)
(608) 661-1376

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,434 Posts
markstahl said:
I was looking for the correct filter to use and the local dealer sold me part# 06A-115-561-B. It doesn't look any bigger than the standard filter that I have on there now. Did they sell me the right filter per the TSB about the Synth Oil and Filter?
They blew it. The larger filter is 068-115-561-B (note the single-character difference). I am trying the Purolator L40316 next time ($1.50 each after PepBoys rebates, versus $11 per 068' filter at the dealership), assuming it clears my left engine mount. (The L40316 is HUGE.)

While helping my elder son change the oil on his girlfriend's Camry, I held a Purolator L40316 next to the minuscule new filter for her car, and said, "THIS is a filter!"

·
Registered
499 Posts
markstahl said:

Me too. I was just at Liberty VW this morning and thought I was to use the larger filter and it's only for 04' and later???

Parts guy and a tech said use the same filter but do use synthetic and make sure it's always topped off.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,434 Posts
SilverFlash said:
Me too. I was just at Liberty VW this morning and thought I was to use the larger filter and it's only for 04' and later???

Parts guy and a tech said use the same filter but do use synthetic and make sure it's always topped off.
The TSB says to use the larger filter AND synthetic oil in ALL 1.8Ts, irrespective of model year.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
John_E said:
They blew it. The larger filter is 068-115-561-B (note the single-character difference). I am trying the Purolator L40316 next time ($1.50 each after PepBoys rebates, versus $11 per 068' filter at the dealership), assuming it clears my left engine mount. (The L40316 is HUGE.)

While helping my elder son change the oil on his girlfriend's Camry, I held a Purolator L40316 next to the minuscule new filter for her car, and said, "THIS is a filter!"
John E,

IIRC, you have an 2001 AUG, same as me. You won't have any problem with the L40316 - I'm using one now.

There does seem to be a difference of opinion on how much oil you can get in with the L40316, or any other comparable Kahuna. I've read everything from a low of 4.2 qts to a high of 5 qts. I currently have a tad over 4.5 qts plus 4 1/2 oz of LC20 in mine, and I'm right at the full mark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts